Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have two auratus set up in a temp quarantine bin with a shallow water bowl. The water level is probably only a cm high and I have noticed them sitting in it with no problems. Today I opened the lid to feed them and one sitting on the water bowl got spooked and jumped in and started swimming, but then just kind of started floating. He looked like the frog in this picture with his back legs out Google Image Result for https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/big-green-frog-american-bullfrog-260nw-61876327.jpg
I was freaked out and went to get some more leaf litter for him in case he thought it was deeper and couldn’t get out but when I came back he was just sitting normally in the dish.
does anyone know what he was doing? (Drowning/playing dead/just relaxing??) he ate fine immediately after that. Does anyone’s frogs swim?
thanks!

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Putting small water pools in can be helpful in some situations but it needs to be done correctly.

Some containers used defeat the purpose.

It sounds like he became stressed by the sudden action and perhaps a secondary of feeling trapped by the slippery lip in his panic.

I like to stud shallow pools with smooth stones so that they can move in and out, cross over. Puddle margins in nature blend into the terra detail by plant matter, rocks, the traction of soil, clay.

A good way to do it if you are going to use water that way is to have duplicates with similiar pebbles. Because it needs to be clean, you switch out one set while you scald and let dry the other.

They can also seat and absorb water in the leaf litter, but, there are circumstances when a more enduring water provision is useful.

Petri lids work very well for this (4" and
2.5" pyrex per carolina biological) as well as a particular exo terra product thats a good size and depth.

Make sure they have the right supplements as deficiency can have early signs of faulty coordination in moments of stress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Putting small water pools in can be helpful in some situations but it needs to be done correctly.

Some containers used defeat the purpose.

It sounds like he became stressed by the sudden action and perhaps a secondary of feeling trapped by the slippery lip in his panic.

I like to stud shallow pools with smooth stones so that they can move in and out, cross over. Puddle margins in nature blend into the terra detail by plant matter, rocks, the traction of soil, clay.

A good way to do it if you are going to use water that way is to have duplicates with similiar pebbles. Because it needs to be clean, you switch out one set while you scald and let dry the other.

They can also seat and absorb water in the leaf litter, but, there are circumstances when a more enduring water provision is useful.

Petri lids work very well for this (4" and
2.5" pyrex per carolina biological) as well as a particular exo terra product thats a good size and depth.

Make sure they have the right supplements as deficiency can have early signs of faulty coordination in moments of stress.
Ok thank you! This is good info. I will have to add some gravel or stones. The permanent viv already has that but this temp one I’m just using one of those exoterra dishes. Have you ever seen a dart in water like that picture? Also, do you have a link or post for the best supplement schedule? There’s a lot of contradictions about it

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
No dont put gravel in there.

The ranid frog in the photo really doesnt relate anything pertinent about your frog.

But photos of your frogs, the dish you are using, the Q box and how moist/dry, and manner of misting can.

Reactions: Tijl

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
About the gravel, the easier something is to keep clean and right, the more likely keeping it clean and right will happen.

Can you perhaps post pics?

How is he today? Good? Eating? Alert?

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Rapashy cal plus and Rapashy A. No contradictions it will cover your frogs needs as precisely as is currently possible.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
What is the story behind your frogs? Can you share it? Is there a viv-in-waiting? Have they had supplements? Did you get them from a pet co or exotics store where they spent time in care consult?

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Im at work sorry for multiple texts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I’m really not sure if I need gravel? The dish is only filled a little. I am using a hand mister on the Q bin but already have mister on the viv. The viv has been set up for 6 months and is growing lush at this point. I have been using repashy cal + every feeding (daily) they are about 3 months old. I will buy vit a soon. I also have rep cal herptevite (blue) and calcium (pink) these are for my tree frogs mainly but I’ve read darts can have them too on an altering schedule. I will post pics below. They are both fine. They ate right after the incident and ate again today. They were out and bold all day today. I don’t have a humidity gauge in there but it’s probably at 80-90.
I got the frogs from a well respected exotic animal store next to my house. They have a bunch of different darts there. The ones I got were there for at least a two weeks before I got them. I’ve had them for a week now and they ate every day with supplements. I only posted that random frog because the way it was laying in water was exactly like my dart. He had his legs out and his head up like he was relaxing but I figured that wasn’t normal dart behavior and panicked. I think it’s ok though? They both seem fine. Just wondering now at this point if anyone has seen that before

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
No, no gravel. It wont work for what i was attempting to describe.

I dont feel suggesting changes to what you have going will translate in a safe and practical way.

Besides having the proper form of retinol A for your frogs, Rapashy has better quality control.

Some pet shops get certain products in large lots for a very cheap price. So they tend to promote it. The pink and blue containers hit an easy, fast explanation. Instead of really engaging the client with nutrition importance and specifics, its: boom you need these, with one sentence, maybe 2. Its a part of sales. But animal care and homing isnt sales, its connection.

Focus on Rapashy suppliments and hopefully your little frog was just spooked.

Maybe put some light greenery on the side of that big dish.

The pebble thing takes a little practice and not just any pebbles will do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.