Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just recently I received a trio of T&B auratus from my friend and fellow frogger Tomas (ivas) anyways whilst turning off the viv lights I witnessed a female chasing the male around the tank,so I thought I'd put a petri dish under the coco hut,when I put the hut back in the viv the female immediately jumped up ON my hand:eek: I think she claimed me :p anyways,hopeing for a clutch soon! I'll keep everyone updated

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yay!!!! I am glad you are enjoying them. When they are in the breeding mood, they do get very active. I love the social dynamic!

What you are calling amplexus is actually probably a wrestling match to establish dominance. In my group, the males are the ones that do the wrestling, with a female following behind them, looking to claim the victor as her mate. My males also like to taunt one another (and seduce the female) by calling. Once dominance is established, the female will begin 'slapping' the male's back with her front legs, and will lead him to the coco hut. They don't always lay eggs after this display, but a lot of times they do. I understand that females also fight amongst themselves. I wouldn't worry about the *occasional* fight, especially before they settle into their tank and assume their social ranks.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tomas

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:wait for it.....EGGS!!!!!!! just before turning the lights of I found a clutch of 5 eggs:D:D:D,sooooooo exited,Im gonna let the parents raise this clutch,PM me if you interested in T&B auratus froglets!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! Dont count your eggs before they hatch...literally ;)
made that mistake with my chickens:(,anyways the dad is being,well,a good dad,:D,today I checked the eggs and found one more,but it was unfertilized,while checking,proud papa came over and jumped on my hand as if to say "hey,get away from my eggs!" he has also been vigorously guarding them,if he isnt in the coco hut hes ontop of it:p

·
Registered
835 Posts
Looks like that they were holding mud wrestling tourneys in the P dish. :D

My humble recommendation is to gently flush some of that stuff out of there. Q tips help as well.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so just cleaned out the P dish,and the male and female are spending a lot of time in the coco hut, hopefully more eggs soon!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you replace your lights with mood candles, use rose petals instead of leaf litter, mist with fine champagne, and play them a Barry Manilow record? I am glad they are producing well for you! Good luck with your babies!

Welcome to Flickr!
Holy begeezus!!!! 2 clutches already,I decide to pull all the clutches because the other females are eating them,thanks again Tomas!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Davis, if you need anything to support the little guys pre or post egg, give me a call. Be happy to drop some stuff by. Lets just say that I have plenty of supplies stashed. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts