Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some plants that I got from Andy's Orchids and they are already mounted on sticks. Should I remove them from their mounts and put them in the background or leave them attached and silicone the mount to the back of the Viv? I'm going to be doing the "cracked cork background" that I saw on this site.

I'm going to be using hydroton screen and substrate for the bottom. Do I need to put a piece of pvc pipe in the background so that I can siphon the water or is this not necessary?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
586 Posts
I remove my orchids from the original mounts and retied them onto my wood with thread. Soaking prior to removal seems to soften the plants and the moss up so its easier to remove.

You can run a short piece of airline to the bottom and make it inconspicuous. You can then just attach another length to that piece and siphon when you please. Remove and reconceal!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always carefully remove them from the mount and remount them in my tank. As for the drainage, you can either do a small pond in the front, or have a piece of pvc pipe drilled at the bottom that goes all the way down into your drainage layer.

Thanks! I would really like to do a pond, what do you use to form it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just silicone some rocks in a semi circle in the front of the tank. Just make sure that the water level stays below the level of hydroton. You can always use a turkey baster to take out some of the water if it gets too high.

and the easiest method for attaching plants to cork is either wire U's or just staples.

Thank You for the info on the pond, the picture really helps!

Where can I get the wire U's??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts