Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a cork bark background to attach to the back of my vivarium. What is the best way to attach it? It is pre-cut to fit. I’m planning on cutting the height down so it’s above the drainage layer. But should I use the aquarium silicone? And if so, how much do I use? Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any way to attach the background without silicone? The more I read on silicone the more afraid I am to use it, lol. I’m worried I won’t be able to get rid of the fumes. Some people have said it takes a month or several months, some people a week. And I really don’t want to kill any frogs. I was hoping to get them a month or so from now. Any tips on either how to get fumes out, or how to use something other than silicone?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there any way to attach the background without silicone? The more I read on silicone the more afraid I am to use it, lol. I’m worried I won’t be able to get rid of the fumes. Some people have said it takes a month or several months, some people a week. And I really don’t want to kill any frogs. I was hoping to get them a month or so from now. Any tips on either how to get fumes out, or how to use something other than silicone?
If it makes you feel any better I recently completed my first viv with a ton of silicone used for the background, the fumes dissipated within a couple of days.

If you have a small fan you can point at it to get the "silicone air" cycled out, that should help expedite it. I started using a fan because I had noticed the smell wouldn't be detectable if I was close to it, but if I got my face too close the the opening, it was pretty pungent. I think stagnant air leads to longer curing times

I think 2 weeks would be more than enough time to get the fumes out

·
Registered
Dendrobates tinctorus "Patricia"
142 Posts
You can use a very thin squiggle of expanding foam. As long as it is thin, it will cure in about 12 hours and has no discernible smell once dry. Just make sure you don't lay down a too much, and weigh down the background with several very large books or rocks while it cures or it will push away from the glass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to try the foam background instead. But I put silicone on about 40-45 hours ago and it’s still a little sticky, but not enough to leave residue when I touch it. Is this cured and something else is causing the sticky, or is it still curing? We are in 57% humidity if that makes a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts