Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SlXdaRBWuBc/Tv29KON-kiI/AAAAAAAAD8c/go87EmwENK4/s720/IMG_1903.JPG[img]

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o9LcFewNTsM/Tv29Lny5veI/AAAAAAAAD8k/QQvzwIynXIU/s720/IMG_1907.JPG

·
Registered
747 Posts
Awesome pics! I'd be so tempted to sneak a cutting of some of those :) thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
These are really great. Thanks for posting this!

Did you get names for any of those plants? Some of them are unfamiliar to me.

Pictures like this could be really great for planning a viv layout because they show the plant's true growth habit and architecture much better than little catalog thumbnails do.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are really great. Thanks for posting this!

Did you get names for any of those plants? Some of them are unfamiliar to me.

Pictures like this could be really great for planning a viv layout because they show the plant's true growth habit and architecture much better than little catalog thumbnails do.
Most if not all of these are not labeled sadly. Some I know the names of, others I at least know the family they belong to. JoshH may be able to give ID on more as I know he has quite a few from ABG in his collection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Beautiful images! Makes me want to hurry and get to the planting stage of my big viv ..and homesick for the ATL, all the same! :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Im always seeing people with plants from "ABG". How does one get plants from them? Do they have a sale where they sell some cultivars from their collection?

Amazing pictures BTW. Any wide shots....FTS:)?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Im always seeing people with plants from "ABG". How does one get plants from them? Do they have a sale where they sell some cultivars from their collection?
There was a small time frame roughly ten years or so ago when a lot of interesting things suddenly were available. I believe Black Jungle may have had a connection with them and was able to introduce much of it to the hobby...though I don't know any specifics of it.

I do know that there really isn't anything coming out of ABG anymore and I don't think most of what is found in the high elevation green house and tropical rooms will make it into the hobby for quite some time.

As far as the ones that most likely were originally from ABG:
Pilea sp. 'Ecuador', Ficus sp.'Panama', Selaginella cf. sericea 'Bronze' aka S. sp. "Ecuador Bronze', the all green and smaller species of Marcgravia in the dart frog trade, Brachyotum species, and many of the assorted and unidentified Philodendrons/aroids with flattened petioles that pop up in peoples tanks....and there are probably others as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts