Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have them in the children's gallery at Como Zoo in St. Paul. Free admission to the public! uploadfromtaptalk1410733741769.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
Almost every time I have been in there I see a pair in amplexus too. its a pretty nice setup. Minus the horrid spider infestation in the top.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you know what to look for in the "wave"? The graphic on that exhibit explaining the waving (semaphoring) depicts a cartoon zeteki with its front "arm" held above its head. In reality the waving arm does not come up over the head. It kind of circles around a time or two at shoulder level, then quickly flicks the front foot up, flashing the sole of the foot at the end of the wave. I always thought it seems like the Atelopus equivalent of giving the middle finger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Bronx Zoo has quite a nice Zeteki set up. I have been fortunate enough to see the "wave" and it precisely as medusa describes. Posted is a picture of two in amplex(I think I am using the word right). This could however be two males.

Do you know what to look for in the "wave"? The graphic on that exhibit explaining the waving (semaphoring) depicts a cartoon zeteki with its front "arm" held above its head. In reality the waving arm does not come up over the head. It kind of circles around a time or two at shoulder level, then quickly flicks the front foot up, flashing the sole of the foot at the end of the wave. I always thought it seems like the Atelopus equivalent of giving the middle finger.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Omaha zoo has about 20-30ish of these in a large vivarium (maybe 3X3X5ft) with about 20ish milky tree frogs. It's really neat. The Panamanian Golden Frogs are always very active and crawling around, and the Milky Tree Frogs kind of stay up in the leaves and are also fairly active.

I wasn't aware of this waving behavior (they don't have any informational signage displayed). I'll have to try and get a photo the next time I'm there. I just got a new camera for Christmas.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Went to the Omaha zoo yesterday and took some pictures of the frogs there. But forgot to look for the waving behavior. Going back next month, I'll try to remember then.

Here's a picture of the indoor rainforest:

Here's the atelopus zeteki vivarium:

Here's some of the frogs. They seem to be very active, always moving around. I'd estimate there's about 10-15 total.

They are housed with the Amazon milk frog (Trachycephalus resinifictrix) - when they first had them in there they were less than an inch long, now they're all about 3+ inches. I'd estimate about 15-20 total. They don't move around much but do seem to have their eyes open. They have some other ones in their nocturnal exhibit (day/night reversed) that are more active.

I took some pictures of other frogs at the zoo but I'll post those elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
wow those are awesome when and where did you get those? how long have you had any breeding yet
These are not his, they're @the Omaha Zoo.

A. zeteki is not legal to own and are extinct in the wild. They were wiped out by the Chytrid fungus. With any luck they can be reintroduced someday.

AZA institutions are currently quite successful in breeding them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah I think I first saw them there 1-2 years ago. I thought they looked really cool and were very lively so searched on here but didn't see anyone keeping them. I assumed because they're critically endangered. Glad to hear zoos are having success with them though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts