Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired two nice Atelopus, one yellow and one purple. They both arrived healthy looking and lively, climbing about on the plants in their viv. Today when I came home I spotted the purple one laying in the water dish. It would bring it's snout under the water for a few, then back up out of the water. I was concerned that perhaps the enclosure wasn't humid enough so this boy was trying to get more hydrated - but I really don't know as I cannot find enough info to learn if they go into water dishes from time to time or if this is odd behavior. Does anyone know?
Since I am not really sure I emptied the water dish and placed a really wet paper towel in it so that at least this way my toad won't drown if it is weak. It sat on the paper towel for some time and then climbed back onto a plant leaf.
Any information on atelopus behavior and husbandry would be appreciated as my internet searches are coming up with nothing. The .pdf file someone posted on Dendroboard dated a few years ago comes up 404 error.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts