Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently acquired Atelopus spumarius from a recent import with a hobbyist friend of mine in Quebec City. We received six of them. We are not delusional and we take it for granted they are all males. After speaking with some of you via PMs, we have set up a quarantine tank. So far so good. The only aspect we have difficulties with is defining the humidity. I keep on reading conflicting info, either here from some members (I have read 50-70%) and humidity closer to darts from other DB members on other boards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And here are pics of ours taken today while picking them up. We received some yellow and some purple.

Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Eric

Email me, and I can include you in our facebook group with those that are currently working with them.

I have found mine to 'seem' happier with a high humidity environment and some available water, even in the QT container.

The girls have a heavily mottled/spotted belly/chest btw.

S

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric

Email me, and I can include you in our facebook group with those that are currently working with them.

I have found mine to 'seem' happier with a high humidity environment and some available water, even in the QT container.

The girls have a heavily mottled/spotted belly/chest btw.

S
Thank you. Done.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Very cool! At least it will be fun to watch the males. I'll eventually have a male waiting for me once a friend on here has an extra to sell me. I just want one to enjoy displaying in my collection. Not interested in trying to find a female.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Shawn,

Did you post the photo(s) of the female you lost here on Db? I was wondering if anyone else had had any issues with mortality so far.

Thanks, Richard.

I will have 3 males to sell, and will be holding back the remaining 4.2 for breeding project once everything stabilizes.

S

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool! At least it will be fun to watch the males. I'll eventually have a male waiting for me once a friend on here has an extra to sell me. I just want one to enjoy displaying in my collection. Not interested in trying to find a female.
I agree. My idea is to manage to provide a stable environment for the male. If and when I decide in the mythical quest of finding the Holy Grail that is a female later on, I'll have part of the battle already won.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That looks like blood on the drinking patch of sportsdoc's female? Two of my DOAs leaked blood from their drinking patch into the paper towel.

What's up with the burgundy bellied ones pictured? Same population?

I finally got two live ones today, pretty jazzed! They move kinda in slow-mo, and really take awhile to analyze their prey. Look pretty good, though I regret ordering any in the first place. Is there an atelopus owners FB page? Thanks, JVK

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like blood on the drinking patch of sportsdoc's female? Two of my DOAs leaked blood from their drinking patch into the paper towel.

What's up with the burgundy bellied ones pictured? Same population?

I finally got two live ones today, pretty jazzed! They move kinda in slow-mo, and really take awhile to analyze their prey. Look pretty good, though I regret ordering any in the first place. Is there an atelopus owners FB page? Thanks, JVK
We're looking into it, as for the burgundy colored one. I have a feeling we might have received some from two populations. But that is speculation as I have not yet seen them live.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine are calling, one of the prettiest, most melodic frog calls I've ever heard! Kind of a dream come true, sorry for the pointless post. :eek: They are so stinkin cool! JVK

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've had my 6.2 for about two years now. No recent breeding attempts though as I have moved and had to build a whole new frogroom. And then there's my study.. lol
Anyway, this summer I will furnish a tank for them to do some breeding attempts. About 1,5 years ago I did get them to look for good spawning sites, but I guess I didn't provide them with proper ones. Now there has been some breeding going on in a German zoo, I feel like I might do better next time :)

About the losses you get with these imports. The importer should make sure that the exporter in Surinam treats the animals when they are held for export, and good sanitation is important aswell. After the first import to Holland, the Dutch importer travelled to Surinam explaining how they should be treated and ofcourse he brought the medicins. Later imports suffered less than 1% losses.

About the females being heavily spotted on their belly. This differs between populations. The ones I have are from a populations where this is a good indication of sexes. This is not always the case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
When speaking to Ed, he wrote that the current ratios of males to females is running close to 25-30 to 1. What is the reason why more males are imported. Is there a higher mortality within females in the wild? I've read on this board that some females die after long amplexus.

As for keeping males in a non breeding tanks, should I take it by the no response after Shawn's that it's the way to go? RE: I have found mine to 'seem' happier with a high humidity environment and some available water, even in the QT container.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
When speaking to Ed, he wrote that the current ratios of males to females is running close to 25-30 to 1. What is the reason why more males are imported. Is there a higher mortality within females in the wild? I've read on this board that some females die after long amplexus.

As for keeping males in a non breeding tanks, should I take it by the no response after Shawn's that it's the way to go? RE: I have found mine to 'seem' happier with a high humidity environment and some available water, even in the QT container.

Thanks.

The reason you are seeing such high sex ratios is that they are collecting from the streams as when the toads aren't ready to breed they are dispersed widely up and away from the streams. The females only approach the streams when they are ready to lay eggs. So you are going to see a high sex ratio.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Thanks.
Yes they like high humidity, but if you want to breed them you need to cycle them. When I first saw mine looking for spawning sites I had kept them dry for over 3 months. This ment I did not mist them for 3 months. The only humidity in the tank was from the small water feature which I refilled every once in a while.

About them dying during amplexus, I've really never seen that happening. In my experience the males will always let go of the females. Sometimes after a week, sometimes after as long as three months. Just make sure you don't continue very heavy misting when they have been in amplexus for a couple of weeks already. And ofcourse don't try to breed unhealthy individuals.

...hmm.. I have heard from a friend that a pair in amplexus was found dead in the water. I'm not sure why that happened, but it was the only unfortunate case I have heard of recently.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts