Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a pair of this species male is doing extremely well..but the female atelopus elegans is extremely swell I'm very concern she's moving around but not much she is eating because I see droppings. I also notice that the humidity was at 90% but the terrarium wasn't moist. I'm assuming she's carrying eggs or it's a humidity problem??

Has anyone here had any luck or can shine some info about this .

· Registered
Plants.
629 Posts
These seem like extremely basic husbandry concerns for someone with a demanding (and incredibly endangered) genus like Atelopus.... What's your husbandry background and tank setup like? Full tank pictures will help, are you using a hygrometer? They're ALL junk. There are a lot of things possibly going on here, but we need wayyyy more information.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@MasterOogway

When I got her she was swell I add her to a established setup she then she wasn't anymore swell and she was eating and walking and recently she was hiding a lot and I notice she was swell again and I was concern with her so I setup a more sterile setup paper towels setup with a lot of leafs and I also added live moss for humidity. She's doing much better but again she swell. You have atelopus elegans???

· Registered
642 Posts
^^^ A picture is worth 1,000 words. You’ll get more detailed guidance if you post pictures. Help the experts help you.

Check this out:

· Registered
930 Posts
These seem like extremely basic husbandry concerns for someone with a demanding (and incredibly endangered) genus like Atelopus.... What's your husbandry background and tank setup like? Full tank pictures will help, are you using a hygrometer? They're ALL junk. There are a lot of things possibly going on here, but we need wayyyy more information.
I almost wrote something very similar several times.

· Registered
Plants.
629 Posts
Full. Tank. Shot.

Your posts and replies to all your threads lately have been indicative of someone who has impulse bought about a dozen animals with ZERO idea how to care for them. You need to do some MAJOR research and reading, and stop acquiring animals, pronto. I have deep misgivings about your setups and husbandry knowledge, and am loathe to offer any more kinds of advice without seeing full tank pictures of all your setups and getting a full rundown of your husbandry protocols.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I been working with Reptiles fish birds and amphibians since the 90s.
I have a RO system that produces 300 gallons of clean water a day .

At the moment I have other species that are even more rare then atelopus and are thriving and doing extremely well under my care. I also have a greenhouse specifically for rare plants and to culture fruit flies.

I have an understanding and knowledge of the animals i have because part of that influence my by friends that work in labs with amphibians and yes I've mentioned it to them,but this BOARD always have good topics thought I give it a try and see what ppl tell me because for me information is key and the most important thing I can own.

This female when I got her she was swell and it was during breeding season is during December-to the 1st to second month of the new year.

I Set them up like dart frogs. Atelopus doesn't need to be in a paludarium/stream I have a separate tank for that as well with flow and filtration setup not all year only when you want to breed them. In fact in the wild they spend most of there life time in trees and forest floor near water yes ,but only for the high humidity only go to streams breeding seasons. Just like most toads.

Males and females can't be kept together either.
I have them separate for the same reason males stress the female to much for breeding and can breed all year round reason most females die .Tadpoles are extremely delicate to water parameters and flow .

Your photo is that ameerega?? I remember when they were extremely rare back then and I had a proven pair they still are but not as much.

Anyway DO YOU OWN ATELOPUS OR HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THEM ???

· Registered
930 Posts
I been working with Reptiles fish birds and amphibians since the 90s.
I have a RO system that produces 300 gallons of clean water a day .

At the moment I have other species that are even more rare then atelopus and are thriving and doing extremely well under my care. I also have a greenhouse specifically for rare plants and to culture fruit flies.
There is some sort of disconnect going on here. I don't know what the issue is and am not trying to be insulting. But, none of your experience comes across in your posts. Can you shed some light on what the issue is?

· Registered
156 Posts
No issues.
I'm glad your issues are resolved. If she's moving normally again, eating, and appears gravid (swollen with eggs) and you have the breeding tank set up as well as the tadpole rearing tank set up, then consider trying to breed them. I would enjoy seeing images of your set up. I've looked at the images and videos posted by the fellow who bred Atelopus barbotini but wasn't able to find any detailed breeding information he posted. His social media is all over the place though, so I may have just missed it.

If on the other side, you're just trying to end the conversation by stating you have no issues and your frog/toad is actually still ill, consider a veterinarian. A veterinarian would certainly be worth a try given that this animal is critically endangered in the wild. Also consider that you have a wild caught animal and it might just be at the end of its life since there is no way to know its age.

Also, apparently few, if any, of us keep atelopus species. Many of us would like to, but we would prefer captive bred specimens and would also want to have the appropriate breeding setups which take up a considerable amount of space, which most of us probably don't have. I might be transferring my own opinions on this matter to the forum, but I think I might be right.

· Registered
Plants.
629 Posts
Your words....

I'm looking for more information about them.

1. Temperature
2. Humidity %

And anything else I should know if they like it wet or moist the substrate or dry but with high humidity..

I can't find anything about them and how to keep them.
Also your words...

I have an understanding and knowledge of the animals i have because part of that influence my by friends that work in labs with amphibians and yes I've mentioned it to them,but this BOARD always have good topics thought I give it a try and see what ppl tell me because for me information is key and the most important thing I can own.

I don't trust this situation. You say you don't know anything about this species, and then in another thread say you know all the things. Something is fishy here. I'm also curious as to the provenance of your frogs, are these from WIKIRI? To answer your previous question, I have minimal experience with Atelopus, because I don't have the time or space to dedicate to them privately; that being said, I do have some minimal experience with them professionally, and will hopefully have quite a bit more in the upcoming months. But again, these are an endangered species with minimal captive populations, you should not be mucking about with them without going in knowing EVERYTHING that you can beforehand. That is not the case with the Ameerega bassleri from my pfp, they are common in the wild and easy to care for privately, with robust populations in the hobby compared to Atelopus.

Also. If you want this boards help you will post tank shots. Until then, that's the last I will say on this thread.

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
I'm glad your issues are resolved.
I took "no issues" to mean that there is no issue about the discrepancy between the nature of the OP's questions and other claims. That's a discrepancy about which I have the same concerns.

@I'm_yours_huckleberry , since you have decades of experience you are well aware of how important it is to provide all the baseline information requested in order to get good recommendations and relevant information. Extensive photos and details of the enclosure(s), and history on the animals, would help get you the info you need.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad your issues are resolved. If she's moving normally again, eating, and appears gravid (swollen with eggs) and you have the breeding tank set up as well as the tadpole rearing tank set up, then consider trying to breed them. I would enjoy seeing images of your set up. I've looked at the images and videos posted by the fellow who bred Atelopus barbotini but wasn't able to find any detailed breeding information he posted. His social media is all over the place though, so I may have just missed it.

If on the other side, you're just trying to end the conversation by stating you have no issues and your frog/toad is actually still ill, consider a veterinarian. A veterinarian would certainly be worth a try given that this animal is critically endangered in the wild. Also consider that you have a wild caught animal and it might just be at the end of its life since there is no way to know its age.

Also, apparently few, if any, of us keep atelopus species. Many of us would like to, but we would prefer captive bred specimens and would also want to have the appropriate breeding setups which take up a considerable amount of space, which most of us probably don't have. I might be transferring my own opinions on this matter to the forum, but I think I might be right.
Omg!!! Thank you these are the exact comments I was looking your amazing cheers 🍻.

Actually mine are captive bred and I'm probably the few that has them. She never had any issues walking or eating she's very alert I'm pretty sure she gravid. I examen her more now just to make sure .

I was told today bloating infection only happens when you have a water feature running. Also throat. I don't have a water feature which I'm happy to hear.

I appreciate it your concern I actually having a meeting tomorrow about this issue consider a vet visiting my home.

I'm going to run the breeding tank for at least a year before i try to breed. Females are way to delicate and most of the time die if there isn't enough oxygen in the water she can drown flow is extremely important.

Tadpoles I was told they are just like sps corals need 24hr flow and water change every other day if not daily extremely delicate.

I have a 6 foot by 2 foot wide by 1 foot high low boy that I completed the other day but is not running at the moment for raising atelopus tadpoles.

I'll post photos soon. Thank you I appreciate your feed back.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your words....

Also your words...

I don't trust this situation. You say you don't know anything about this species, and then in another thread say you know all the things. Something is fishy here. I'm also curious as to the provenance of your frogs, are these from WIKIRI? To answer your previous question, I have minimal experience with Atelopus, because I don't have the time or space to dedicate to them privately; that being said, I do have some minimal experience with them professionally, and will hopefully have quite a bit more in the upcoming months. But again, these are an endangered species with
I took "no issues" to mean that there is no issue about the discrepancy between the nature of the OP's questions and other claims. That's a discrepancy about which I have the same concerns.

@I'm_yours_huckleberry , since you have decades of experience you are well aware of how important it is to provide all the baseline information requested in order to get good recommendations and relevant information. Extensive photos and details of the enclosure(s), and history on the animals, would help get you the info you need.
Your words....

Also your words...

I don't trust this situation. You say you don't know anything about this species, and then in another thread say you know all the things. Something is fishy here. I'm also curious as to the provenance of your frogs, are these from WIKIRI? To answer your previous question, I have minimal experience with Atelopus, because I don't have the time or space to dedicate to them privately; that being said, I do have some minimal experience with them professionally, and will hopefully have quite a bit more in the upcoming months. But again, these are an endangered species with minimal captive populations, you should not be mucking about with them without going in knowing EVERYTHING that you can beforehand. That is not the case with the Ameerega bassleri from my pfp, they are common in the wild and easy to care for privately, with robust populations in the hobby compared to Atelopus.

Also. If you want this boards help you will post tank shots. Until then, that's the last I will say on this thread.
It's only to see if I missed anything never too late to learn new things and things are always changing. Nothing less nothing more.

Maybe someone else has had better success then me and I could learn from that person. Or we can learn together.

Reason for the basic questions never to late to learn new things.

I see you have no experience with them well now on my other post ppl posted more info about them now you have access too another reason for the basic questions.

So ppl can learn and we can all learn. Information is important new and old.

No need to stress over a basic question.
Clearly know the answe too.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not Wikiri but I do speak to them from time to time also I was invited to a tour of there facility. But I do have Ecuador species from Columbia and Costa Rica as well.
Also where does it say that I didn't know anything about them. You never ask basic questions about certain things even if you know the answer too like a second opinion??

Your only assuming about a complete stranger also your criticism is stupid. I mean no disrespect.

I could of been a real asshole ,but my 15 seconds of my complete attention has expired. Hope next time someone ask a basic question about something they know about. You either say something positive about the topic or don't say anything at all and only run your mouth knowing you don't have experience on.

Your words....

Also your words...

Don't!!!!!! I recommend next time someone ask basic questions clearly i know the answer too don't assume and criticize. Knowing you don't have the experience and answers too.

What you never ask question you know the answer too for second opinion???

Directly to ppl that can relate because they have worked with a particular species.

Next time I need tips and tricks for ameerega I'll look you up I'm pretty sure I won't because you probably don't even own .

Don't run your mouth

You kept begging for photos I don't post photos without licensing and registration of my documentation via content and photos I tend to see my stuff around social media.

you would too if you had a 6 foot tall vivarium which I'm pretty sure you don't.

FYI. A professor/vet is coming to my house to check up on her on thrusday this post was a waist of time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts