Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here ever had any luck growing those evergreen Asarum as vivarium groundcover?

I tried one once, but it just pooped out pretty quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Asarum canadense gets way to big for a viv but I know there a few asian species that are a little smaller. Overall though I think they are just to big and they don't like the overly wet and humid conditions of a viv.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If your viv mimics a temperate forest then you could try Asarum species from North America or Asia - but most of our indoor vivs mimic more tropical conditions since they tend to stay at room temperature year-round. Asarum species also experience intermittently drier conditions in habitat than tend to occur in ever-moist vivs. As attractive as their tight clumps and patterned foliage can be, they are not suitable for most vivs (and certainly not vivs for darts).

...and if you are keeping darts a ground cover of dried leaves is the best use of the space.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah this is not for a frog enclosure.

We have A. canadense in our yard and that one would not work. It has a strong winter deciduous dormancy cycle. It's also too big.

Plant Delights has a few in their list and include some real little plants from warmer climates including Southern China and Vietnam, although that place is so expensive... Search Results

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found some Hexastylis arifolia in another shop and went ahead and ordered it. This will be interesting to see what it does in an enclosure.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well I found some Hexastylis arifolia in another shop and went ahead and ordered it. This will be interesting to see what it does in an enclosure.
That one is a temperate species native to the southeastern US. I grow it quite happily outside in NE; USDA Zone 5. I doubt you will see long term success with it in a viv. Not particularly tolerant of excess moisture; it's an upland species.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts