Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I know im going to need help with this one.
This is going to be a slow construction thread because I'm still thinking of ways to approach this.
The opening is:
Height - 34 1/4
Width - 33 1/4
Deep - 19 3/4

Full glass tank? or
Use plywood to reinforce the back and Epoxy the inside? "I would like to have a small waterfall.
Sliding tempered glass on a track for the door area.

Other things i should think about:
gap above the tank for lighting and maybe misting.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could use marine grade plywood and two part epoxy to reinforce the whole inside of the hutch. You would need to do like three coats of the two part epoxy to make shure it was watertight. Then you could put in your front glass panel. I have helped build a few reef tanks like this, and was amazed how well it worked.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would do cost analysis vs.time/labor to drop in a custom aquarium (glass or plex) I seem to recall nice plex tanks on ebay by a company that would custom design size... not cheap but benefit is you can always revert use of Furniture back to TV stand - ie for resale purpose or ease of moving etc....

Given the size of this viv project also think about possible use of canister filters under the tank to help with ease of maint and biosystem control (drainage etc) which requires some plumbing design.

fyi - you mentioned "tempered" glass for door, so you may already be aware but as precaution, avoid using it elsewhere in the project as it is my understanding you cant drill it.

Mike35 has a good suggestion if you opt for DIY. I know it would work as my father and I built a 90 gal reef tank in late 80s out of wood w front glass. The tank had no leaks and worked great. It was ugly by modern standards, but it worked. Since you will prob have cork/ foam background (ie fake wall) and your exterior is the "armoire", you will avoid issues we had in terms of aesthetics.

Good luck, I will be interested to follow your build thread.

-Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
The other alternative that just came to me was to do a full diy tank out of lexan ( acrilic ). If you have a tablesaw a with a laminet blade, some sandpaper, and some weldon 40 or M.E.K.. you can totaly do an awsome tank

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your ideas :)

I think I will go with the lexan for the side walls, top and bottom. Not sure about the door. In the past I've had acrilic topers for my 10 gallons but they bowed downward.
Think ill go with the tempeded with the door though. or somthing cheaper and strong that will not bow?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could use 1/8 thick lex on the sides, bottom, and back. With the front I would go with eather 1/4 or 3/8 thick lex on the front. Lexan is less likely to warp then plexy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I'm prob getting confused with Acrylic and Polycarbonate.
Checking out homedepot.com and looks like Lexan only comes as Poly sheets.
OPTIX is the acrylic sheets and damn their expensive.

Ill check the prices with local glass shops and see what they charge for the sheet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats the down side. The cost is somthing like 50% more for acrilic over poly. Glass is still the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Do a search on here about using plexi or acrylic for tank building as Im positive that some people have had serious issues (IE Complete tear down) using these instead of glass.
Just something you may want to consider before dumping money into this kind of project.

That said Im really looking forward to seeing this project progress. I may even take some inspiration from it if my mom ever let me take that cedar wardrobe from the storage unit.

Todd

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just realized that i was wrong with the plastics, lexan is polycarc and less likely to warp. Still glass is less expensive than any of the plastics. Do a search glass diy viv's. There are plenty of good threads. I think pumilo is a glazer and could be of some help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts