Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Aristolochia in their tanks. I have a couple of 70-gallon tall tanks that I've been thinking about putting some vines in. Also anyone know where you can find interesting species for sale? Thanks.

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Aristolochia elegans (possibly Aristolochia labiata but hard to tell through the pics i have seen wich.) is a great plant, considered a level ii invasive in florida though :( . It self propagated itself all over my fences on its own, very nice looking plant. No threats to native plants discovered, but if i here of one i am going to remove all plants from my yard. They put out a huge amount of seed pods late summer. So if interested i could send you some for a possible trade. I could even try a plant, but they dont seem to be hardy without light.

Ryan

edited for spelling.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a couple and I'm trying them in twin 70-gallon talls. In one I'm trying A. ELEGANS and the other A. FRIMBRIATA. Its only been a few weeks, but so far I'm happy. I'll have to wait until next summer to give a final report. The only potential problem I see is the size of ELEGANS flower, but a few snips would take care of that. I have a couple large compact florescent lights in each tank so I think the amount of light will be fine.

Best,

Chuck[/i]

G

·
I tried a few in my tank... grew too much and was a weed (literally... seedlings chokin out everything and it looked like a rats nest), So I trashed it :p

It's actually a common weed in the southeast.

I still prefer Nepenthes :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts