Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
do you find it easier to breed thumbnail frogs in pairs or in groups?
thanks,
Julio

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm

I was told by Justin Yeager that a majority of the thumbnails are best kept in groups provided they have enough space. He stated that his production was much higher this way aposed to keeping them in pairs.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Re: hmmm

I've read that pumilios are agressive in groups.

BillJohnson said:
I was told by Justin Yeager that a majority of the thumbnails are best kept in groups provided they have enough space. He stated that his production was much higher this way aposed to keeping them in pairs.

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pumilios are aggressive but not to the point that they will kill or hurt each other, mostly the males will wrestle on a constant basis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I first got my imitators and they were at a breeding age I had all 3 in a 10vert.I would see a clutch of eggs but couldn't get to them because they were behind the corkbark background.I would see them for a day or 2 then they would disappear.Come to find out one of the female was competing and stomping the others eggs so in the case of imitators I'd say in pairs for that reason.I have also heard that the males will fight.It may not be enough to kill the subordinate male but the stress will eventually kill it.This all isn't set in stone but it is my observations with them.
Mark W.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Re: hmmm

Pumilio are not "officially" part of what we call thumbnails though. I believe that group really is just the The Quinquevittatus Group. I would say those two terms are synonyms.

I've heard (starting to see it a bit too) the same thing regarding Pumilio

s

kyle1745 said:
I've read that pumilios are agressive in groups.
quote]

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Like kyle says it matters more so on the frog you are trying to keep. Vents do great in groups or pairs. Imitators will do great either way as well, but need a little more room then the vents. I have breeding trios of imitators, but may take out a female and see if they do better as a pair... just to test this for the way mine are set up. It seems like it really depends on the breeder and their set ups. Also there are some really aggresive individual frogs that should never be part of a group... just have to monitor your frogs and see what works best for them.

Pumilio aren't really thumbs, but I think they do best in pairs... unless a lot of room is given to them.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Thought I'd post here as I caught the (I'm assuming) "extra" Fantasticus in a 1.2 setup either tongue-flicking, or attempting to eat, eggs that had been laid within the previous 24 hours.

Thankfully I noticed and removed the eggs.

I had been under the impression that both sets of frogs in this tank had been laying good eggs.

Hmmmm.... anyone have an extra male Fant?!?

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fants

I have actually seen one female fantasticus eat the eggs another laid minutes before. It was a bizarre sight. The male called and called. two females aproached. One female climbed on top of the film canister and laid 5 eggs(on the outside of the film canister.) The other female started eating the eggs almost immediately after the male fertilized them. She ate 3 of the eggs before I could rescue the 2 remaining, but the surviving eggs went bad. This was from a group that had been producing viable eggs for months. I believe the eggs were destroyed by the second female's tongue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts