Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my Blue Jeans male and female were both in the same film can. I know, surprising right? Well they usually aren't together and when he calls and she comes near him he always stops. Yesterday was different though.. He was calling for about 4 hours (probably longer since I left for 2) practically non stop and she was right in there with him, the entire time..

This morning I figured I'd check to see how there would be NO eggs as usual, but I think I might be wrong this time.

I really can't seem to get any better pictures than these with either camera.. this film can is in a horrible spot for pictures, it's like 2 inches back from the front so I can't get the center in perfect focus. The front/trim frame is in the way.. :(

IMG_1274 by ericbradish, on Flickr

IMG_1275 by ericbradish, on Flickr

I haven't had any pumilio breed for me yet as these guys didn't want to cooperate with me and my Escudos wound up being 2 males. So I'm not certain what exactly their eggs look like.

Are my eyes lying to me (as well as two pretty bad pictures) or is there seriously 7 eggs that thing?

·
Registered
752 Posts
i see what looks like five, the rest i guess hidden in shadows. I dont see a tad and i dont think they would lay that many feeder eggs? Not having any experience with Pums other than reading though i dont know. At least it is a step in the right direction, they just may need to perfect the process. You have eggs though!!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Five sounds pretty high for a pumilio for feeder or fertilized eggs in one clutch.... If they're fertilized they're entirely submerged and I'd be worried.... If there's a tadpole in there and they're feeding then it's not a good idea to dump the water out.... Without a better shot I think it's kind of difficult to say for sure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thats exactly what the first clutch looks like, a bunch of eggs in water. It takes mine about three times to get it right , than they start laying in the plants then , they will start depositing tads. They don't seem to get it right the first time.

Daryl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts