Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys one quick question for you all i have these plants in pots around my house and i am wondering if they are suitable for a 55 gallon long vivarium. could you also help me id them also

1) here is a vine

2) wide leaf

3. lily pad shaped

4) another vine

5) final vine

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
1. Philodendron hederaceum (AKA P. cordatum and a few other names)
2. Maranta leuconeura
3. Syngonium podophyllum
4. Epipremnum aureum (AKA Pothos)
5. Not positive, but lookes like Hedera helix

All will do well in vivs except for #5 (assuming my ID of #5 is accurate).

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you do you think any will outgrow my tank

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
They all look like fast growers. When I get plants I usually look for something that will thrive but not overtake the tank. It depends on what you are going for. They will quickly fill up the tank and make the frogs happy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i want my tank to be full but not overcrowded. i would like a few bromiliads and some of the smaller orchids. so these are nonharmful to the frogs and benifiction is cover

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Okay, 1 Philodendron hederaceum, specifically a juvenille form that commonly is referred to as Philodendron scandens.
This will be absolutely fine for such a big tank. Its a little common for my personal taste but it does do well in vivariums and will make a great filler.

2. Is Maranta leuconeura Also called Maranta 'Rabbit Tracks' Also known as Maranta repens. But the most common name is green prayer plant
This will be a terrific choice for your tank as well. with a 55 there will be ample room to let it fill in a bit.
3 is a Syngonium podophyllum cultivar
These can get HUGE!! Ive not grown this species of Syngonium in any type of display viv in a very long time. Froglet tanks sure.
I think if you did put it in , it may end up becoming big enough to be a focal plant, Which is upto you whether you think it would look good amongst the rest of the viv.

4 is Epipremnum aureum AKA Pothos
This I would say no if you want a decent balance in plantings.

5 looks to be Helix AKA Ivy
Ive not dealt with Ivy at all so I can offer no feedback on it... other than theres a reason why I dont work with any Ivys (They remind too much of the landscape plants and take away from the tropical feel of the viv.

Just my input.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much on the id may i ask one other question what bromiliad species and orchids would you best recremmened into this setup

·
Registered
197 Posts
In my experience #1 is a slow start but starts growing pretty quickly once settled. #2 Has taken over quite alot of my tanks, just get ready to start trimming quite often. Not too familiar with the other ones.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Austinp thank you and the heads up.

·
Registered
725 Posts
thank you so much on the id may i ask one other question what bromiliad species and orchids would you best recremmened into this setup
three most commonly used genus of bromeliads are neoregelia, guzmania, and vriesea. Neoregelia is most definitely the favorite among hobbysists because most of them are small and do well in a warm humid environment. check out some of the sponsors that sell them and see which ones you like. Tropiflora.com also has a large selection of bromeliads.

As for orchids i have no idea because i have never had any haha. I'll let someone else answer that one for ya

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Ryan I will look into it. I did like the ones on joshsfrogs.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts