Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what they are. They just looked cool and I picked them up. If I can't use them I'm happy just the keep them in the pot as decorations. If I can I'm thinking about setting up a 38gal bowfront aquarium I have with them for now.
No identification on the pot.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
English ivy(?), schefflera, bacopa monnieri (the last one likes a lot more water so can partially submerge if you want)
The one on the left is definitely not English ivy (Hedera helix), although it may have ivy in the common name due to its visual similarity. The one in the back does look like Schefflera/Umbrella Plant. The one in the front right is definitely not Bacopa monnieri, so please don't plant it in a "marginal" area where it's very wet - I think it looks like a button fern, Pellaea rotundifolia.

Many plants that are sold as house plants are not suitable for vivarium conditions - they are either adapted to, or prefer, the low humidity found in a house environment and may not thrive in the often 80% humidity in vivariums. I have never grown any of these specific plants so I can't say, some research will be needed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with the post above, those aren't ivy and Bacopa. I would say Schefflera arboricola (umbrella plant), Pellaea rotundifolia (button fern), and Cyrtomium caryotideum (Japanese holly fern).

Edit: Forgot to add, I would only use the button fern for a vivarium. They appreciate the high humidity and stay relatively small. Holly ferns grow fairly large and prefer the humidity to be a bit lower, and Scheffleras get far too big.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I may use the fern then and just keep the other two as house plants.

Any good recommendations for a 36x18x36?
I had some pothos and a piece lilly that ended up taking over everything!

I'm going to do a full tare down and reconstruction.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
I get lots of good ideas from perusing build threads, either by searching the viv dimensions, or even better (since the plants are for the benefit of the frogs, not for the benefit of the viv) looking at builds for the species I intend to keep. A person could read those build threads for weeks and still keep getting ideas. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts