Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking around in a tank with a tri of Tarapoto imi's that i bought at the local reptile show this weekend and found these laying in the brom thats in the tank. It's in a weird spot for photos without moving things but maybe someone on here can say yes they're eggs or no they're not eggs...

They are a proven trio that i picked up from Wendy from frogs with altitude for $300 and $75 for the tank all ready to go so i couldnt pass that up even though i have 4 tanks here that are ready for new inhabitants... The male was calling in the container on our way home, so i know there is definately a male!!

Anyways one of the (what i believe is a female) is sitting on a leaf of the brom under what i believe are eggs. They have a slight shine when i shine the light on them but cant really see them as they are deep down in the brom... There appears to be 3 or 4 if they are eggs.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!!!

I'll post more in the morning...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it floating on the water because it looks like a granule of styrofoam they sometimes us in potting soiL Eggs don't float and are usually attached to the leaf.

I took a q-tip this morning and cleaned it out and yeah it was a small chunk of styrofoam... I also messed with the leaf that was under the female in the picture and it is gel sac, but I couldn't see anything that appeared to be eggs unless the eggs are black in color and very very tiny??? There was one that object that looked yellowish and round but once again it was just about if not smaller than the ball in a ball point pin... Not sure if its just dirty or eggs, but ill post pics up tonight when I get a chance. I scraped the gel sac off just in case it was something and kept it. I should have an order or some more supplies coming in tonight or tomorrow (I ran out of petri dishes) but for now they are in a clear plastic cup...

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so here are pics of what i pulled out... I'm pretty confident it was an empty gell sack.

Im not sure but i think this might be an egg, but all the thumbnails i've owned have laid white eggs not black... My Red eyed tree frogs and Whites tree frogs lay little black eggs but thats the only frogs i have seen in my tanks with black eggs...

Here's the gel sack...

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It certainly looks like it. Do you have just a pair? I'm not a thumb expert, but rival females of some species will eat one another's eggs, leaving the gel behind.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a "well established" trio i was told... They all seem to get along, but i added some film canisters and eliminated the pool of water in the corner of the tank. Hopefully that will help them keep their eggs in a more managable spot...

Anybody have any idea on how often Tarapoto's lay? There was some coco fiber 2 of the film canisters so they have been in them, just a matter of getting them to lay in there now:rolleyes:

Does anyone think its a better idea if i seperate them and keep one pair per 10 gallon or keep the trio together? And will it effect their laying habbits if i move them to another tank? I was thing about transferring them to a 29 gallon high tank, but im waiting on my vertical conversion kits still for those tanks...

I know this is off topic but does anyone know where i can get a 55 gallon vertical conversion kit??? Or should i just make one?

Thanks for the input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.