Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've purchased two groups of frogs billed as R. Amazonica 'Iquitos' from two separate vendors, both of which I have reasonable assurance are reliable vendors, but the two groups of frogs look different from one another and I'm wondering if they're actually different locales, or if these frogs are really diverse in appearnce. Can anyone with expertise in R. Amazonica weigh in?

Frogs in first group:
  • Color on body is solidly orange
  • Black lines are thicker
  • Black spots on legs/belly are larger

Frogs in second group:
  • Color on body ranges from golden to light orange
  • Black lines are thinner
  • Black spots on legs/belly are smaller and more of them

(Apologies for the screenshot photos, I've uploaded these using Tapatalk iOS and the photo picker on there doesn't let me select albums, which made it hard to find these)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bred around 100+ individuals of R. Amazonica Iquitos between 2021 and 2022, the second one def looks like an amazonica to me, so the first while looking very atypical to me based on the pattern and black/orange ratio but that will eventually balance on the orange side when growing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which lines of R. amazonica 'Iquitos' were each sold as?
I had to go back and double check, but they both were sold as "UE line". I think both vendors are pretty reputable, although one of them didn't know the full history of hobbyists where the frogs came from (group 1). Group 2 vendor got them directly from UE, I believe.

From the photos, I see no reason not to believe they are what the sellers stated them to be.
Awesome, thanks!

I bred around 100+ individuals of R. Amazonica Iquitos between 2021 and 2022, the second one def looks like an amazonica to me, so the first while looking very atypical to me based on the pattern and black/orange ratio but that will eventually balance on the orange side when growing.
Now that the frogs are older (the pictures are about a year old, at least for the first group) the black lines have evened out a bit, but still are wider than group 2. Here’s a more recent pic:

Thanks for the replys, all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts