Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to setup two new tanks for my frogs.. I heard moth and slipper orchads grow well in that enviornemt... will they harm my white dumpys, or my red eye's, or my Grays... any other big leaf plants I might want to avoid that lowes sells?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
My tree frogs have orchids in their tank and seem to like them, since the crickets climb all over them. The orchids seem to like the frogs for all the fertilizer they leave behind. :D

I love having orchids in my frog tanks. The ones in my tree frog tank do a lot better than the ones in my dart frog tanks. I think that's because the tree frog tank is a little less humid and the orchids get a little more air.

·
Registered
222 Posts
frogface - do you orchids bloom? mine haven't since a few weeks after I planted them. I am not fertilizing them because I'm too lazy to look up frog-safe organic fertilizer lol

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
No mine haven't bloomed but the leaves and roots look good! I have low rent lighting, though. Maybe I'll upgrade the lighting on a few select tanks.

You don't need fertilizer. That's what frogs are for! :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
any other big leaf plants I might want to avoid that lowes sells?
I would avoid diffenbachia (dumbcane), it is sold at almost every Lowes/HD and has quite noxious sap. Spathiphyllum and Aglanoema are good choices and are commonly available. If you do get plants from HD or Lowes, make sure to bare root the plants, wash them very well to remove any foliar fertilizers, and grow them out of the tank for a month or so (preferably longer) to let any residual systemic fertilizers dissipate. You may also want to consider doing a 10% bleach wash before introducing them into the viv.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I doubt it tree frogs are tough.
Phalaenopsis should hold up to most tree frogs... the most they might do is break a flower stalk and even that would take them actually hanging on it a few times.

Not sure how slippers would hold up in tree frog temps/humidity though, IIRC they're mostly temperate species but could be wrong there.... phalaenopsis should do fine in most tree frog setups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts