Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got them around 2-3 weeks ago and they have been eating quite well. I am just wondering if they look like they are eating enough or if I should be feeding them more.

Also, anyone want to take a stab at if they are girls or boys? I know they are still pretty young.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I would say they are too young to sex. I also think they could use a bit more food, they are not skinny, just on the thin side. If anything I think I am troubled by what appears to be a powdery substance on them and some plants. What is this on them?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I agree that more frequent feeding would help. The tank seems a little on the dry side and the media is sticking to the frogs. This is why leaf litter is highly recommended for raising dart frogs, as this problem would be eliminated.

Good luck with them, Richard.

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I figured that out and I now added moss for the ground. Some of the pictures were taken at different times, but the first and last picture have the moss in it. Hopefully that will help it from sticking to them. It has seemed to be working, as they have had less substrate on them.

Thanks! They are so cool to watch!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Moss looks very nice in a tank buy does not allow the frogs to hide the way leaf litter does. This gives the frogs added security, and allows more room for microfauna.
I would suggest throwing a bit of leaf litter in there, in addition to the moss.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I agree with jrgobble things look a bit dry.....
needs more misting...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Still wondering how many Fruit Flies do you feed a Leuc this size?

I am giving at least a dozen a day, but is that enough?
Two of my three seem very eager to eat when I feed and one of them
never does, he's is always hiding.

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually don't feed them a specific amount each day. I tend to feed them based on how much they eat. Right now my frogs are around 5 months old, according to what I have read so far they should be eating as much as they need to grow. Obviously I am not dumping a ton in and just letting them eat whenever they would like. But instead I dump probably 20-25 in and then watch and if they are scarfing them up as soon as they can, I dump more in.

After a few weeks, I have gotten to the point where I think I have it down so that they are getting enough to eat but there aren't a ton of extras all over the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
If you put a piece of Banana (no peel) into the viv, you'll easily see if there are left-overs the next day (they'll be on the banana). The flies will also lay eggs on the fruit and the resulting maggots will be an excellent added food source for the frogs.

Good luck, Richard.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you put a piece of Banana (no peel) into the viv, you'll easily see if there are left-overs the next day (they'll be on the banana). The flies will also lay eggs on the fruit and the resulting maggots will be an excellent added food source for the frogs.

Good luck, Richard.
What if there are left over fruit flies? Would you still feed more? Or skip adding more that day?

Steve

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What if there are left over fruit flies? Would you still feed more? Or skip adding more that day?

Steve
Depends on how many.... if there are <10 flies sitting there, feed normally. If there are like 30, don't feed.. if in between, feed lightly.

I'll also agree with the 'more leaves' comments.... it'll keep the lose dirt from getting all over them, and supports beneficial microfauna that they can feed on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts