Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to apologize for the quality of the shots, they're from my camera phone. I've only had these lil'uns for a couple weeks (Since Charlotte repticon). I am a bit worried about their eating habits - one of the cobalts occasionally comes out to eat when I feed dusted FF's, the other cobalt and the azure usually run away. I know they're eating because I've seen them hunting among the reindeer moss but I don't know if they're getting enough (or if they're getting any nutrients from the supplement dust). Would you experienced folks look at these photos and tell me if my frogs look healthy? Also, any ID's on the plants would be helpful.

I've already been chastised about mixing morphs. I bought them at repticon without doing the proper amount of research beforehand. The vendor said they'd be ok and I didn't know any different so I went for it. Also, I now know their enclosure is too small. I'm in the process of researching the makings of a bigger tank, most likely a 20l or 29 gallon with a bitchin water feature. However, as all us newbies can attest, there's a LOOOOT of posts out there to sift through to try and find the right info! Oh, and just because everyone loves a full frontal shot (of the viv! What were you thinking? ;) )

(If I have to deal with looking at the stupid black bar in the front then so do you! =)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
They do not look skinny in my opinion. If you have springtails supplement them with that, they love that shiz.

How many froglets do you have anyway (I'm not gonna yell at you)? I think the enclosure is fine for a grow-out enclosure, but once they start getting bigger you'll find that they'll quickly run out of room. Keep a REALLY close eye to see if they're getting skinnier, or climbing the sides of the enclosure, as these are signs of big stress and will require immediate action.

Once they get bigger, tincs become more and more terrestrial, which means that this enclosure would only be suitable for maybe one of them, judging on the size (what size is it?). The recommended size is 10G per frog, so for two frogs you'd be best off with a 20G horizontal tank. It is reported that keeping adults in groups of more than two in smaller enclosures can lead to the loss of a frog to stress.

So yeah, a lot of people might chastise you for this and that -- but I'd really hate to see you (or anyone) lose a frog for reasons that could be avoided. Don't hesitate to post more questions if you got them.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for not beating me up about mixing morphs! Yes, I do plan on separating them but I'm not yet sure of the specifics. Plus, they're pretty young so I figure I have at least a couple months... If the dwarf guinea cobalts turn out to be a pair then I'll prolly keep them in their own tank with the azure in this small one. I figure I'll work on making a real, permanent home that a few frogs would be happy to make babies in while attempting to learn the basics in the current setup and then decide what's best from there.
I knew about the show, but the thread frogfaced just linked made me decide to go! It would be friggin FANTASTIC if I could meet up with some "real" froggers at the Raleigh show! I have so much to learn it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't added any microfauna although that's something I plan to remedy in the near future. I am hoping to find some local froggers that will let me seed my tank with some of their substrate to get all those awesome little buggies started.
I have three froglets, 2 dwarf new guinea cobalts and an azureus. The tank is a small exo terra, I believe it's about 11 inches cubed.
Does anyone have an example of a skinny frog vs. a fat frog I can look at? I'm not sure where to look on their bodies to measure their chubbiness (or lack thereof). Their bellies look fat but their hip bones are very prominent and their limbs look like twigs!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree with the majority...the frogs look fine! I don't have pics...but I have received very skinny frogs before and these guys don't come close. I'm not seeing "hip" bones in the pics...if you mean the arch in their back, that's a common look for tincs. You're on the right track here. Just keep reading everything you can and you'll learn a lot. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ive posted this before, a tip I learned from Mitch. For a nice fatty food (use sparingly), Maggots!! Make a smaller then normal fruit fly culture, dont add coffee filter or excelsior. In a few days the cup will be covered in maggots. Scrape off maggots with a flat stick (popsicle is my fav), pinch o' vitamin dust, add to viv in a film canister cap. BAM! McMaggot with cheese. Your frogs will be as fat as americas youth.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Your frogs are fatties. You don't need to feed them fatty foods (like termites or maggots) in order to keep them healthy. Keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get too skinny (there will be no question if one of them starts to lose weight or stops growing at the rate the others are growing).

Also, thanks for being willing to remedy the mixing situation. It's always great to find those newer froggers who are willing to do the research and put in the effort to do what's best for their frogs. With that attitude, PM me any time for tips or tricks or advice :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Agreed with Jake, don't fatten up the "fatties" :)

Also, LOVE that second pic Mordoria. What a regal looking frog. Reminds me of Lion King on top of Pride Rock... I can almost hear the theme song when I look at the little guy.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, Mordoria's pic is pretty majestic.

I think I'm learning how to culture FF's the hard way. My original FF culture stopped producing and I think I used too much yeast in the culture I started last week (it smells really yeasty when I take off the lid there are no adult FF's). Luckily there's a Petco nearby that sells FF cultures for about $10. Normally I'd never give them a penny because of how they treat their animals but I was left with barely a fly to go around so I got a jar from them and started a new culture the same day. This time I only used about 10 grains of yeast for the new culture. Hopefully this one will do better!

I do have a couple questions. First, how deep can a water feature be? I'd like to have a small "lake" with some cherry shrimp and maybe small fish. I've heard that PDF's easily drown, but I've also seen a lot of vivs with deep water features. Can anyone clear that up for me?

Second, what should I do to make sure the tank is ready for the dwarf cobalt tincs to breed? I've found lots of threads that say "my tincs bred!" or "I'm going to raise them" or "I'm going to let the parents raise them", but I can't find much detail on what they need to breed, what the difference is between parent raised and doing it my self, things like that. Any advice would be welcome!

Third, what's the best way to make a false back wall outside the tank? I was thinking about making the false bottom out of egg crate then making a false back, also out of egg crate, and using GS on the egg crate to fancify it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
First, how deep can a water feature be? I'd like to have a small "lake" with some cherry shrimp and maybe small fish. I've heard that PDF's easily drown, but I've also seen a lot of vivs with deep water features. Can anyone clear that up for me?

Second, what should I do to make sure the tank is ready for the dwarf cobalt tincs to breed? I've found lots of threads that say "my tincs bred!" or "I'm going to raise them" or "I'm going to let the parents raise them", but I can't find much detail on what they need to breed, what the difference is between parent raised and doing it my self, things like that. Any advice would be welcome!
People say PDFs drown easily because there is a relatively high number of drowning incidents when deeper water features are utilized. However, darts _do_ swim (not as well as some, but they still swim). Many of the drowning incidents that occur are due to aggression and another frog bullying the other frog in the water feature. This said, you really shouldn't be considering a paludarium unless you're using a rather large tank. Even 40 gallons of space may not make the creation of a large water feature worth it.

Breeding is relatively easy with tincs. Plenty of plants/leaf litter/hides. Mist every day, feed daily, and provide a cocohut with a petrie dish underneath for them to lay eggs. Tincs will not provide parental support beyond deposition, so chances are you'll have to care for tads yourself if you want froglets.

·
Registered
713 Posts

2-3 oow Tinc
enjoy these moments, when they are small. Next thing you know, they will be bigger then you and asking for the keys to your car..........[/QUOTE]
LMAO! :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sex my non-skinny frogs? *pics*

Here are some updated pics, can anyone sex these or are they still too young? It's hard to tell here but they've probably doubled in size since those last pics. They usually hang out together in a brom or under the coco hut so I'm really hoping they're a pair. Sorry for the crappy pictures, they're from my camera phone.

On a random note, their new tank is almost ready. I don't love the water feature but I want to give them more space so I'm going to deal with it. I just need to make a better light fixture and pick up some more plants / leaf litter at repticon next weekend before I put them in there.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Nobody can clear up the opinions about water features. Some experienced froggers will tell you that it is not a danger, period. They say that if a frog is found dead in a water feature, that it was sick and dying anyway. Other experienced froggers tell a different tale. Personally, I am with Jake. After losing what seemed like a perfectly healthy, currently breeding Imitator, I filled in every water feature in every viv I had. Currently, I don't use any water features.
In my opinion, they would rather have the additional hunting areas, well filled with leaf litter.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate your advice, Pumilo. The water feature that I have is a very tiny stream leading to a puddle of water about 11x3 inches in a 29 gallon tank. The puddle is filled with pebbles and plants and the water is no more than an inch deep. I'm not saying it's frog proof but I did my best to make it as safe as possible.
Any chance of determining the sex on those two frogs?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts