Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been seeing a lot of very... plump frogs in some groups lately. Some of them are obviously obese and others rather round - a fair bit more round than my terribilis. I read through a couple interesting older threads, mainly Biggest tinc and How many flies at mealtime?, that suggest many of our frogs are too round (and also that we may be breeding them too early, interestingly enough).

I also remember seeing a chart somewhere that had general pictures of dart frogs body shapes indicating too fat or too skinny, but I was unable to locate it. My question is - what do you aim for? How round? I imagine this varies for different types of frogs.

For example, my terribilis have slightly round bellies from the side but looking from the top they do look a little slim. I've pictured my smallest/thinnest below. Would this be considered too thin? I'll also point out that it often seems like he/she can 'puff out', especially when eating and look very round. And also looks a lot different when squatting.
Reptile Botany Organism Lizard Scaled reptile
Terrestrial plant Fawn Terrestrial animal Amphibian Reptile
Frog Plant True frog Leaf Botany

I've got no problem feeding more flies - I thought they were looking at a fine weight but since they seem decently slimmer than most I'd be interested in a discussion and photos of healthy frogs that could be good for reference - especially for newbies. If all people see are fat frogs than I think that is what they will try to imitate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is always going to be some variation between individuals, but some frogs (esp female phyllobates) can bulk up significantly. But we do know that wild dendrobatids get pretty round too. Wild frogs essentially eat all day and eat a variety of prey items so it’s no surprise that many are on the stocky side. That’s not to say that obesity can’t occur, but it’s important that we understand that some individuals are just naturally larger than others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts