Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a beginner, I had Mint Terribilis on my want list, but a friend told me that they are or can still be poisonous in captivity. How much truth is there in this statement?
Come to think of it, I did have poisonous saltwater fish for YEARS and it never really bothered me. I was just careful around them..

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
If they are captive bred they are harmless. They get their main toxins from what they eat in Colombia, which is not what they get in terrariums. Put it another way, if captive bred terribilis were toxic I would be dead about 20 times over at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
the chances of them being poisonous are almost zero. There are no longer imports from Colombia, the frogs you'll come across in the hobby are most likely captive bred... and speaking generally, even WC frogs lose their toxicity fairly quickly without the poisonous portion of their diet. I still wouldn't lick one, but you don't have much to worry about.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top