Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a condo and I'm trying to decide what frogs to get. Are Leucomelas loud and what time of day are they usually the most vocal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
"Loud" is pretty subjective. I can hear them in another room with the door closed about 40 feet away when it's relatively quiet. I also have very good hearing. It's a high trill, look up the calls on YouTube to hear what it sounds like.

Mine call around 7 in the morning and again around 8 in the evening, with some sporadic calling in the middle if the mood strikes them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine are pretty loud and call any time during the day. But, only spring and summer. I don't think they are annoying. We live in a small house with an open floor plan. My girlfriend has never said anything negative and I have had them for like 10 years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine are pretty loud and call any time during the day. But, only spring and summer. I don't think they are annoying. We live in a small house with an open floor plan. My girlfriend has never said anything negative and I have had them for like 10 years.
Good advice. I appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1.0 D. Leucomelas - 8 E. Anthonyi - 2 D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
53 Posts
My male calls most mornings, his tank is right under my bed. If I'm asleep it wakes me, and if I'm tired in bed it activates me. He has improved my sleep schedule.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My leucomelas have never been overly annoying. I appreciate his calls. They don’t last very long, and they’re not too frequent. My imitator can go for a while though, barely reaches annoying.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My leucomelas have never been overly annoying. I appreciate his calls. They don’t last very long, and they’re not too frequent. My imitator can go for a while though, barely reaches annoying.
Thank you. I appreciate the input. It'll help me make my decision.

·
Registered
257 Posts
They are a bit higher-pitched than a Terrib and a bit quieter IMO. Sounds a bit like a bird (at least my house guests think so until I pointed it out). Doesn't really interrupt anyone and they do tend to stop if you're moving around or talking close to the tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are a bit higher-pitched than a Terrib and a bit quieter IMO. Sounds a bit like a bird (at least my house guests think so until I pointed it out). Doesn't really interrupt anyone and they do tend to stop if you're moving around or talking close to the tank.
That's good to know. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Or not. 😆

I had just cleaned the glass when these jerks decided to take their squabble upstairs.

http://instagr.am/p/CP8UWIrgVTZ/

On second thought - they usually stop just when you have a new group of "grown up" juvis that just started calling and you approach to figure out which one it actually is... -__-

My terribs on the other hand could not care less, even if I started a heavy metal show in front of their tank (not that I do)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in a small studio with 2 male leucs in a tank next to my bed... I love the call. Does it wake me up in the morning, sure, but there is no better alarm clock (6:45 calls can sometimes start). Calling means the frogs are happy enough to want to mate, it is truly a joy every time I hear it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In my opinion they have one of the most beautiful trills / calls. Not obnoxiously loud, but It is a beautiful call of nature that I can hear in my home. I smile as I hear their trill across the room.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my opinion they have one of the most beautiful trills / calls. Not obnoxiously loud, but It is a beautiful call of nature that I can hear in my home. I smile as I hear their trill across the room.

That's really good to know. I probably wouldn't mind if it was pleasant. I've heard their calls were nice but it's good to hear from an actual owner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts