Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here keeps Aneides spp salamanders? Are they interesting captives? I'm itching to go herping and find these guys fascinating. I want to set up a native paludarium for some newts or sallies and thought these might be cool. As far as I know, Aneides lugubris is not protected outside of protected areas so collection would be legal... but I may be wrong.

If this is a bad idea, what other species would be more interesting (doesn't need to be something I can catch in California, although I'd love to go on a herping expedition).

Thanks,

Niko

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just make sure you have a permit if you collect them from the wild. Otherwise it's illegal in CA. They are cool, but I haven't kept them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just make sure you have a permit if you collect them from the wild. Otherwise it's illegal in CA. They are cool, but I haven't kept them.
I believe you just need a sport fishing permit, which my father has... If not what other would I need? I'm pretty sure it's just sport fishing.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I found one in Laguna beach once when I was in middle school. They are really neat looking up close with their big heads and yellow spots.

The habitat will be drying out soon if not already, so you'd probably need to wait till winter again. Probably check to make sure they aren't a protected species first ie threatened or endangered--I have no idea.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found one in Laguna beach once when I was in middle school. They are really neat looking up close with their big heads and yellow spots.

The habitat will be drying out soon if not already, so you'd probably need to wait till winter again. Probably check to make sure they aren't a protected species first ie threatened or endangered--I have no idea.
They are least concern. I know of several creeks nearby that are known to house them year round, but they are on a protected reserve... I'll have to look elsewhere. Do you think they would hide to much to be interesting vivarium inhabitants?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I believe you just need a sport fishing permit, which my father has... If not what other would I need? I'm pretty sure it's just sport fishing.
Yep that's correct a valid 2016 fishing license. There might be a daily "bag" limit. But I actually can't remember.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts