Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this isn't for dart frogs, it's for my toads, but I imagine you'd do the same thing for either one.

See, I have these iddy biddy white THINGS that hop around on the surface of the stagnant water that gathers in the land portion of my firebellied toad tank. I have reason to believe that they are aquatic mites. They aren't hurting my critters that I can tell, but I heard that they could. I emptied out the whole tank and bleached everything, including my pieces of cork bark, and I threw away the plants and bought new. However, they're back. :evil: How do I get rid of these things?!?! would that mite spray that people use on their snakes be harmful to my toads? Would it even WORK? Please help, this is very frustrating. :cry:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I can speak from experience when I say that the mite stuff for snakes does work. It's called Provent-A-Mite, by Pro Products.

My ball python came in with mites (even though I inspected him at the store), and they soon spread to the rest of my collection. I was hesitant to order because, at $20 a can, it wasn't cheap. I tried various things like soaking them in olive oil, giving them constant baths, none of it worked. It got to the point where the snake was so afraid of me he would ball up every time I approached the tank. So I ordered a can and had it overnighted to me. Took the snakes out of the cages, sprayed the cages down lightly, waited for it to dry, and poof! No more mites.

However, it is only rated for use on reptiles. I would not spray it in a frog tank.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I see these in my turtle tank and they don't seem to harm anything. I figure that the fish might prey on them.

Also, they seem to go away for awhile after a water change.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If they are floating on the surface of the water and are hopping I'd say they are springtails not mites.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I went over to kingsnake.com and someone in the chat room had em too. :) You're right, they're not mites, they're spring tails. Hehehehe :oops:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Arklier, next time you need a can of that, save yourself $16 and go to Wal-Mart and buy a can of Repel PermaNone (formerly known as Sawyer's Tick Spray). It's the exact same stuff with a different label. The patent # as well as the ingredients, especially the active ingredient (5% Permethrin) is exactly the same. The manufacturer makes this stuff and sends it out to different companies (Pro Products, Wal-Mart, etc.) and they slap whatever label they want on it. Pro Products decided to hike up the price by an extra $16.

Again, I would not use this in a frog tank. You can't even spray this stuff on your snakes, so it can't possibly be good for your frogs. But if you follow the directions, this stuff works really well, and I've never had any problems with it.

Bry

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I still have my can. I never needed it again, but I keep it for insurance.

I would rather have something that's guaranteed and tested. Plus I never go to Wal-Mart unless I can't go anywhere else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts