Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at petsmart and i seen some great looking aquarium plants and was wondering if some of these plants can be used in a vivarium and if so which ones have a good groth. I would like to know if some of you use them in a viv and if posible to reply with some pictures and the plant spicies thank you for your time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This depends. MANY aquatic plants will exhibit emergent growth if kept moist/humid enough. However, also keep in mind that there are MANY "aquatic" plants that these stores carry that are not aquatic at all. If you look through their plants packaged in tubes, you will certainly find many terrestrial plants. Probably the most useful in frog vivariums would be the Selaginella.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been looking forward to using some aquarium plants in a viv so far i have only used riccia moss and java moss and 3 other plants but i wasn't sure if it was a great idea to use then do to the fact that they have to be wet all the time to survive in a 75* viv with at least at 80% humidity

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not aquarium plants but... my petco up the road has plants on a rack next to the reptile stuff and one shelf has Terraium plants and the other has desert plants.
I bought 1 terrarium (no idea what it is) but its thriving!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went to petco today and i seen the plants that they had i have them all haha lol im starting to up date my leucomelas viv with a clay background and i was looking into using aquarium plants to try and get into a new field of plants and viv look thanks for the advise tho

·
Registered
136 Posts
BTW the plants I was refering to at Petco were not the ones in tubes.
They were in the platic net pots on a wire rack round display shelf.
Not sure if this is all Petco's or just happen to be the one I was at but I will be buying more to try out soon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ones at Petco on the rack include species of bamboo and arrows, all of which will do fine in a viv. They also have numerous plats in tubes that will do well, because as dartfrogfreak said, they are not even true aquatics (but they sell them as such anyway so that ppl will take them home and submerged them only to watch them rot in a month and come back and buy more IMO). Mondo grass is a perfect example of this. People buy it all the time and wonder why it never grows/propagates in their aquariums. There are also alot of truly aquatics, that they keep in aquariums, that will also grow fine in a viv as well. Anubias is a very attractive plant and is a great example of this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I may try some aquatic one too.
I dont have an auto mister ie. mistking (yet but probbly next week order it)
So I havent tried any moss. but cant wait to.
was going to order my light this friday but i see that aquatraders is sold out right now :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cryptocoryne wendtii any color, mondo grass, Ricca, aluminum plant, Java moss, Java fern if you have VERY high humidity, Spathiphyllum, many Echinodorus, and most if not all Anubias I'm sure would work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have numerous of the tubed petsmart plants growing and thriving in the vivarium..i think for the most part all of them will do well as they are grown emersed in the first place. if you like the look of one i say try it out!

·
Registered
Plants.
601 Posts
ANY cryptocoryne should work really, most serious crypt growers end up growing them in an emersed/viv type setup anyways. They can get some beautiful foliage/spathes on them. Really cool plants. All the anubias will grow too, along with a large variety of other plants. I recently had some Limnophila aromatica grow emersed for me without me even trying, might be worth a shot in a viv as its a beautiful plant.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I iwll 2nd the Anubias nana, I had a piece in my discus tank that did well and now that it has establshed itself in my viv it is growing faster than it did immersed in water. It has shot a ton of roots, it is growing high up on a piece of cork bark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts