Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just gonna take the 29G aquarium lid, drill holes in the plastic part, and put it on my tank but it’s slightly too large to fit on the lower shelf. My mental plan is to super glue like foam or plastic in that divot and attach the lid onto that. I’d either super glue everything but the hinged part down, and maybe conform the front edge to create a loose seal to prevent escapes. I was also considering using velcro to attach the lid onto the tank. If I put velcro strips along the edges, would that be tight enough to prevent escapes?
Plant Wood Grass Gas Hardwood
Plant Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Vehicle door Wood
Plant Plant community Botany Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, any ideas for sprucing up the back wall? It’s literally just coco fiber, which I regret a bit.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
I wouldn't chance a misfitting lid for anything, certainly not for $15 in glass, like @TravisH mentions. An escaped frog is a dead frog.

Any number of holes in the back plastic are not going to ventilate, since air has to come in, then go out, either via convection or forced by a fan. Here's how I solved the ventilation issue in a 15H fish tank viv; the low vents were crucial:

·
Super Moderator
3,153 Posts
Regarding the background, if your tank is like mine, you will eventually have plants crawling up the background and you won't even notice it anymore. You can make sure that happens by buying shingling plants for the tank (Rhaphidophora, Marcgravia, etc.). You may have to make sure the back wall is misted, especially in the beginning, but you can have a living wall back there pretty easily.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts