Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone see any problems with this? My viv(after the 80's temps in the summer)...now does not top even 70...and probably drops to the 60's at night. May be a bit nippy for the frogs I have in mind(RETF's). I've thought of possibly getting an aquarium heater and using it to warm the water under the false bottom to about 75 degrees, thus warming the tank also during the night. Does anyone see any problem with that?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I use an aquarium heater in the winter, and have not had any problems. Just monitor the temps closely until it reaches equilibrium.
Then check it every once in a while to make sure it hasn't malfunctioned and either quit or gotten too hot.

I think you need a minimum amount of water to use one, so make sure you have enough. My 40 gallon viv has about 4-5 gallons of water under the false bottom, and I use a small aquarium heater.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have about 8 gallons of water under my false bottom...so a heater sized for a 10 gal should do the trick. Now I need to find a way to slip it under there and yet have easy access to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use heaters in my water reservoir. I've even made it a bit more complex by having two: One set at 20C permanently, and another at 25C on a timer that starts two hours after the lights come on, and goes off two hours before the ligths go off.
The temperature at one inch above ground is min of 19.5 and a max of 25.7. At the top of viv, just under the lights the temp reaches 27 during the day, so the frogs have a temperature gradients and decide where they like it best.
The only thing is you always need to make sure your heaters are under water, dont let your water level fall below the heater.

Cheers

Nik

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very neat I was thinking of doing the same thing. Now that I know its ok defintely going to go with it.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DrSalsa said:
I use heaters in my water reservoir. I've even made it a bit more complex by having two: One set at 20C permanently, and another at 25C on a timer that starts two hours after the lights come on, and goes off two hours before the ligths go off.
The temperature at one inch above ground is min of 19.5 and a max of 25.7. At the top of viv, just under the lights the temp reaches 27 during the day, so the frogs have a temperature gradients and decide where they like it best.
The only thing is you always need to make sure your heaters are under water, dont let your water level fall below the heater.

Cheers

Nik
Haha...I've had that happen way too many times!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few more questions.

To bring tank temp up to 76 or so...how high should the heater be set.

I have an Ebo-Jager heater previously used in a ten gal aquarium. Is their a way to safely clean it or should I just buy a new heater?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts