Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Sorry, posted on the wrong board, mod, please move to "Plant"***

I have built six 10 gal vertical for future thumbnails (varadero and fantastica). After searching online for bromeliads, I end up with following list. I am planning to put 2-4 broms in each tank depending on the size/shape of the broms. Did I get the appropriate broms? Is any one too big for a 10 gal vert? Any suggestion/comment will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

• Aechmea aculeatosepala
• Aechmea gamosepala
• Neoregelia andyann
• N. annick
• N. Cheers
• N. Chiquita Linda
• N. Inca x Fireball
• N. June Night
• N. melanodonta x. pauciflora
• N. olens x (Fireball x compacta)
• N. pauciflora x kautskyi
• Tillandsia. ionantha

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thats a-lot of broms for a 10 gal tank. I recently used about 8 broms for a 18x18x24 (about 30 gal) and its pretty crowded. June night alone will fill the canopy (top of the tank).

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I don't know anything about the Aechmea species, but most of the Neos you selected will work depending what size you are sent. Some of those tend to vary a little when they are full grown. A couple inches might make them too big to use. The Chiquita Linda stays small enough to be a third brom in that tank, but for the most part 2 broms will probably be the max.
One other neo that holds a lot of water for its size but doesn't have too big a spread is N. Shamrock. Others I like are Janet Sue and Little Faith. They stay small like Chiquita Linda and keep their big brom shape.

Reactions: DCgecko

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I end up with following list.
• Neoregelia andyann
• N. Shamrock
• N. Janet sue
• N. Cheers
• N. Chiquita Linda
• N. Inca x Fireball
• N. June Night
• N. sarah head
• N. Royal Burgundy' x 'Fireball'
• Tillandsia. ionantha
So far, only the Royal Burgundy x Fireball seems a bit oversize for a 10 gal vert. Others fit perfectly at 2-3/ea. tank. Hopefully they won't grow so fast.

Reactions: bratyboy2

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know sizes by name but i get my plants from troppiflora they tell you in the description what the mature size is. They also have a advanced search were you can put in the sizes that you are looking for matures plants.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Aechmea aculeatosepala is a perfect size brom. This is one of my favorites. Others you can use are neo sunball, fireball crosses(there are a ton of crosses with fireball in them that are the perfect size and shape for smaller vivs), pheasant, domino, mini skirt, dungsiana, tom tom, punc. joao marcio, punc. joao marcio x night spot, lilliputiana and its many crosses, punc. yellow, wee willy, outrigger, vriesea racinae and so on. There are a ton of suitable small sized broms that will work. Many tend to just use the typical 20 or so small varieties we see often but there are hundreds of nice small broms that are functional for vivs.
Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
I end up with following list.
• Neoregelia andyann
• N. Shamrock
• N. Janet sue
• N. Cheers
• N. Chiquita Linda
• N. Inca x Fireball
• N. June Night
• N. sarah head
• N. Royal Burgundy' x 'Fireball'
• Tillandsia. ionantha
So far, only the Royal Burgundy x Fireball seems a bit oversize for a 10 gal vert. Others fit perfectly at 2-3/ea. tank. Hopefully they won't grow so fast.
Hey there,

I actually grow many of these Neoregelias in and out of the terrarium. I can tell you with certainty that the following will grow far too large for your 10 gallon vert. I have posted the average mature size for the varieties I believe to be too big.

• Neoregelia andyann (6inches across x 5 inches tall)
• N. Shamrock ( 6 inches across x 5 inches tall)
• N. Cheers (5inches across x 5 inches tall)
• N. Inca x Fireball (7+ inches across x 5+ inchess tall)
• N. olens x (Fireball x compacta) (7+ inches across x 5+ inchess tall)

These are the average sizes for mine here at home, some of mine are larger and some slightly smaller.

Here is a list of the varieties I keep in all my verts. They are all compact varieties of Neoregelia.

- N. Wee Willy (the best for verts in my opinion)
- N. Fast Cat
- N. Night Spot
- N. Whim
- N. Dartanion
- N. Born of Fire
- N. Checkerboard
- N. Alley Cat x Pauciflora
- N. Little Faith
- N. Domino

I have used all of these varieties in numerous 10 and 20 gallon verts. They work quite well and stay rather compact. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely keep the list. Hopefully by the time they overgrow my 10 gal I have already upgraded to 20 or 40 gal. Neoregelia are just as addictive as Ranitomeya, very true :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely keep the list. Hopefully by the time they overgrow my 10 gal I have already upgraded to 20 or 40 gal. Neoregelia are just as addictive as Ranitomeya, very true :D
Your very welcome. I can't agree more, Neo's are incredibly addictive. I have a couple racks full of them plus terrariums, I can't get enough of the colors and variations. They're like Pokemon, Gotta Catch Em All :p

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hey there,

I actually grow many of these Neoregelias in and out of the terrarium. I can tell you with certainty that the following will grow far too large for your 10 gallon vert. I have posted the average mature size for the varieties I believe to be too big.

• Neoregelia andyann (6inches across x 5 inches tall)
• N. Shamrock ( 6 inches across x 5 inches tall)
• N. Cheers (5inches across x 5 inches tall)
• N. Inca x Fireball (7+ inches across x 5+ inchess tall)
• N. olens x (Fireball x compacta) (7+ inches across x 5+ inchess tall)

These are the average sizes for mine here at home, some of mine are larger and some slightly smaller.

Here is a list of the varieties I keep in all my verts. They are all compact varieties of Neoregelia.

- N. Wee Willy (the best for verts in my opinion)
- N. Fast Cat
- N. Night Spot
- N. Whim
- N. Dartanion
- N. Born of Fire
- N. Checkerboard
- N. Alley Cat x Pauciflora
- N. Little Faith
- N. Domino

I have used all of these varieties in numerous 10 and 20 gallon verts. They work quite well and stay rather compact. Hopefully this helps.
I believe the original poster wanted them for his thumbnail tanks, I assume for tad deposition sites. Most of the Neos you listed are great for decoration but not so good at holding enough water for tads. A good comprise might be one from column A and one from column B. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe the original poster wanted them for his thumbnail tanks, I assume for tad deposition sites. Most of the Neos you listed are great for decoration but not so good at holding enough water for tads. A good comprise might be one from column A and one from column B. :)
I fully agree with you but to this date the only two from that list that don't get used on a regular basis by any of my frogs for depositing eggs are the Wee Willy and the Born of Fire. Once again this is based purely off my experiences and methods developed over the years.

Dave

Correction, I haven't had any egg deposition in the Night Spots either :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts