Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I consider this done--for now at least. Will add a plant or two and some more frogs eventually. Here's two photos.

The frog I got from a local pet store. I don't like that pet store much b/c I don't like that they sometimes have WC box turtles and I don't appreciate that. Plus, they were attempting to feed this guy small crickets--wrong! Needs fruit flies.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Plants, leaf litter and maybe a coco hut or two - it has no place to hide which can cause lots of stress.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a piece of bark to crawl under. But I need to rearrange things so that is more accessible.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah you should get some leaf litter in there ASAP, which will create lots of areas for the frog to hunt and hide. Plants will also help you to keep humidity at a constant, which will be much harder when it's so open like it currently is.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah, great start but needs a lot more plants, leaf litter, and a few coco huts.

Trust me not only will it look cool but your frogs will love it! Who doesn't want a part of the rain forest in their very own home. Just do some research and you will find a lot of cool info.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there was snow over local leaves yesterday.... today, not though. Will get leaves and coco huts soon.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bake AND boil them? I wondered about pathogens with leaves, but doing both seems overdone.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Some people don't bake or boil. I just boil. Mostly to get rid of bugs that are hiding on them that I might not want in the tank, such as spiders. There are always spiders running out of the boiling leaves.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No spiders... but it was cold, and they were oak leaves (which tend to keep their form, allowing of plenty of air in) from a dry area.....

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
One pothos added, plus some leaves. Oh, the container I got the frog in is in there upside-down. When the photo was taken, the frog was under piece of bark/leaves ..... which I not easily visible.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Good start, since it's hiding you know it was looking for it, now start thinking about pieces of wood and lots more plants - just fyi those home depot etc plants shoulld be taken out, soil all rinsed off before being planted in there because of pesticides. Also, is the water level coming close to the substrate level in there?

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good start, since it's hiding you know it was looking for it, now start thinking about pieces of wood and lots more plants - just fyi those home depot etc plants shoulld be taken out, soil all rinsed off before being planted in there because of pesticides. Also, is the water level coming close to the substrate level in there?
About the plant: take off the soil? Or just rinse water through the pot?

And, the water should be below the the substrate? Is that right? Mine is touching right now.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
You want to take the plant out of the pot, and rinse all the dirt off it good, and re plant if in the viv. This will not only keep the plant and tank clean, but will look much more natural.

You don't want the water coming up to the top. If the top layer is too saturated, the frog can get foot rot and get sick. The plants can die as well if too wet.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Rinse all the dirt off the roots and plant it in the substrate in there, then something to watch for with pothos is that it can push the lid open on tanks when it grows too tall so keep it trimmed down when it gets close to the top.
Yeah try to keep about a half inch air gap between the water level and substrate - is there some kind of access to the water for draining or siphoning if it gets too high?

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rinse all the dirt off the roots and plant it in the substrate in there, then something to watch for with pothos is that it can push the lid open on tanks when it grows too tall so keep it trimmed down when it gets close to the top.
Yeah try to keep about a half inch air gap between the water level and substrate - is there some kind of access to the water for draining or siphoning if it gets too high?
Unfortunately, there's way to drain it, and little easy to to siphon it. I think it evaporates quickly, though.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Ok that should be cool then as long as the water doesn't become nasty/smell bad - the good thing is that is a small simple build and it won't bother you in case you want to do another tank from scratch

·
Registered
564 Posts
Unfortunately, there's way to drain it, and little easy to to siphon it. I think it evaporates quickly, though.
Did you fill the FB with water when you were constructing it? I'm just curious how it got so full if it's been quickly evaporating for you. I don't really see much evaporation from the false bottoms of my tanks due to the high humidity within the tank, so you may find yourself having to figure out a way to drain it.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you fill the FB with water when you were constructing it? I'm just curious how it got so full if it's been quickly evaporating for you. I don't really see much evaporation from the false bottoms of my tanks due to the high humidity within the tank, so you may find yourself having to figure out a way to drain it.
I didn't know there should be space between the coconut fiber water. Makes sense that there should be space now, I guess. I have a heater in the water, so I do need a fairly high level of water to keep it covered. I will try to siphon some.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts