Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has tried using the buttermilk/moss mixture in their setups, and if so, how well did it work?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
d

I have tried most of the recipe. I didnt have any buttermilk. I just shredded some really good moss with some water in it to the consistency of a thick milkshake and spread it on! I think buttermilk would have sped up the process in growing moss though. It took about 4 months or more to get moss to come up there, but then it came in well. Must keep it moist too!

I'd start with your favorite moss, although its hard to thrash beautiful moss. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is the buttermilk/moss process. I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm with guyelcamino, I've never heard of this. Would I be correct in assuming that it is a way of making a mossy mash to "seed" whatever you want moss to grow on?

Anyone have a good link about it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have tried it and it worked pretty good. Below is the growth after about 1 month. I didn't put it on real heavy just incase it didn't work. Any how, I mixed a few handfuls of moss , a cup of buttermilk and a cup of water in a blender and shredded. Then I painted on with a brush.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hmmm...looks pretty good. What lighting and size tank do you have?

Luke

·
Registered
121 Posts
This tank is a 45 Gallon hex with a 65 watt cf, the light is a" Lights of America" outdoor light. I bought it at Home Depot for $35. The background is Great Stuff covered with silicone and peat moss.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The thing that worried me was it grew a white fuzzy mold over the first week or so, it went away over the next a couple days and about 2 weeks later it started to grow. I used a mix of pillow moss and sheet moss just to see what worked best. Both are growing but the sheet moss seems to cover better although the pillow moss takes a while longer to grow in.

·
Registered
976 Posts
the mix

the buttermilk mix came from people trying to give thier outdoor walls a look of age with moss growing on it. i saw an example of it on home & garden tv.
they pretty much put some in a blender, moss and buttermilk. the stuff in buttermilk if i remember helps it to get started sort of a fertilizer. about the smell and fuzz i guess that is why it is used for the outside.
also they did say it took a bit for it to grow.
walt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
buttermilk moss

i just took a big chunk of nice moss that popped up on a peat brick randomly and blended with buttermilk untill it reached a soupy consistancy and then spread it on reasonably thinly onto another two peat bricks in a vivarium. that was about three days ago, since then it grew a kindof hairy white mold which dissappeared when i sprayed the tank and now its got a really bright white mold growing on the surface, its not spreading throught the vi so im not worried but has anybody who has done this had a similair experience?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
...depends on what you mean by "live".
If the moss is dried out (dead) but has viable spores, it could be used.
If for some reason the moss has been sterilized, the only way it would work is if it picked up spores from somewhere else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
moss

today the mold is finally receeding due to a massive army of tiny white blobs on legs which walk around over the surface eating all the mold. they definately have legs and move so they are some kind of mite as opposed to another mold and they are eating the original mold which i suppose is a good thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mold growth is normal and won't eat anything--just enjoy the process of seeing cycles occur within the tank. It will subside and moss will eventually begin to 'sprout.'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mold

the 'cycles' are actually very cool. the massive army of mites appeared in the space of about 6-7 hours whilst i was out the house and now its nearly all gone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts