I have tried most of the recipe. I didnt have any buttermilk. I just shredded some really good moss with some water in it to the consistency of a thick milkshake and spread it on! I think buttermilk would have sped up the process in growing moss though. It took about 4 months or more to get moss to come up there, but then it came in well. Must keep it moist too!
I'd start with your favorite moss, although its hard to thrash beautiful moss.
I have tried it and it worked pretty good. Below is the growth after about 1 month. I didn't put it on real heavy just incase it didn't work. Any how, I mixed a few handfuls of moss , a cup of buttermilk and a cup of water in a blender and shredded. Then I painted on with a brush.
The thing that worried me was it grew a white fuzzy mold over the first week or so, it went away over the next a couple days and about 2 weeks later it started to grow. I used a mix of pillow moss and sheet moss just to see what worked best. Both are growing but the sheet moss seems to cover better although the pillow moss takes a while longer to grow in.
the buttermilk mix came from people trying to give thier outdoor walls a look of age with moss growing on it. i saw an example of it on home & garden tv.
they pretty much put some in a blender, moss and buttermilk. the stuff in buttermilk if i remember helps it to get started sort of a fertilizer. about the smell and fuzz i guess that is why it is used for the outside.
also they did say it took a bit for it to grow.
i just took a big chunk of nice moss that popped up on a peat brick randomly and blended with buttermilk untill it reached a soupy consistancy and then spread it on reasonably thinly onto another two peat bricks in a vivarium. that was about three days ago, since then it grew a kindof hairy white mold which dissappeared when i sprayed the tank and now its got a really bright white mold growing on the surface, its not spreading throught the vi so im not worried but has anybody who has done this had a similair experience?
...depends on what you mean by "live".
If the moss is dried out (dead) but has viable spores, it could be used.
If for some reason the moss has been sterilized, the only way it would work is if it picked up spores from somewhere else.
today the mold is finally receeding due to a massive army of tiny white blobs on legs which walk around over the surface eating all the mold. they definately have legs and move so they are some kind of mite as opposed to another mold and they are eating the original mold which i suppose is a good thing.