Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I use 1 of those on a 4ft x 4ft x 4ft growbox. Its great for that size. Thats way too intense for frogs. For a viv, I like to do the 3 watts per gallon rule as a MAX. A 23w spiral CFL is what I use on my 10 gallons. I find that 2 of those bulbs can even be too much. Dont forget that the light is ONLY for the plants to grow and most are grown on the dark floor of the rainforest. the frogs only need enough light to hunt by (they can even hunt from an incandescent bulb Lamp next to my couch, 8 ft away).

Dont over do it.

PS, if you saw one of those bulb lit up, you would get it. Its like the friggen sun!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
holy shiz that is a bulb!
anyway Blue is not what you want in a spectrum anyway, you want the red for plants.
In horticulture speak "blue" is 6500K and is a full spectrum bulb. "Red" is 3000K. Blue is for growth, red is for flowering.

If you are talking to a reef keeper "blue" would mean actinic which has light almost entirely in the blue spectrum.

Reactions: ajb28221

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, helped answer my own thoughts lol, I was thinking of getting it for my Giant Day Gecko Viv, not for frogs, but I think I'll stick to my cheepo bulbs, they work fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts