Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I'll be the first and I'll let you know what I think.
I dont have anything to compare it to but ill take pics and post thoughts.
Ill be ordering it June 4 (if I dont spend all my money at the San Antonio reptile expo:rolleyes:)

I renewed Ins. on the motorcycle today so it wont get ordered this pay check :(

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just bought the 72watt 20" with 4 t-5 and led's. I am very pleased with the brightness. Unfortunately, I am having a difficult time sourcing replacement bulbs for the actinics, so I have not installed it on a viv yet. The heat is about the same as a lower wattage CF bulb, but not bad at all. These are actually very nice units for the price.... If your tank is not really tall, you could get away with the 2 bulb system, although I grow orchids so the more light the better.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've heard some back things about these lights on the Reef keeping forums. People having the electronics melt down and smoke heavily. It's been a year or so since I've read those posts but might be worth searching on. I have no personal experience with them though. Just suggesting a quick search on them. Maybe they've made some improvements.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've used 10 of the T-5 fixtures from Odyssea and 6 of the compact fluorescent fixtures. I've had issues with one needing a replacement ballast out of the box, and one light that has a bad connection that comes on/off at random times. But out of a total of roughly 64 bulbs only two issues is pretty low. They are inexpensive, and won't take a beating, but for viv use, they are great. And you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks. That makes some sense as you'd be moving them around more on a reef tank. As I said, I had no personal experience with them and it's good to hear from people that did. I think the issues were with the combo lights ( metal halide/ T5 ).

Thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have had several odyssea fixtures in the past (all from aquatraders.com). Their old halides with the magnetic ballasts is where the fire story came from and in my personal opinion it was one or two instances that EVERYONE keeps talking about.

My last fixture was the 4x54w t5.. loved it over my 90g reef... sold it with the tank...

I have also owned a few of their halide fixtures.. cant beat the price.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I finally got my 20 inch t-5 4 bulb fixture under a light meter. I'm getting >then 1000 foot candles. My only problem with this fixture is the 10k's are a little bluer than I would like and I am having a hard time finding replacement 18w t-5's with the correct spectrum. I finally just ordered some "pinkish hue" bulbs and some 12k's to see if I can get the right spectrum. Most of their other fixtures are offered as marine ready or plant ready (6500k) When I get teh bulbs I will do another light reading and see how the plants like it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I finally got my 20 inch t-5 4 bulb fixture under a light meter. I'm getting >then 1000 foot candles. My only problem with this fixture is the 10k's are a little bluer than I would like and I am having a hard time finding replacement 18w t-5's with the correct spectrum. I finally just ordered some "pinkish hue" bulbs and some 12k's to see if I can get the right spectrum. Most of their other fixtures are offered as marine ready or plant ready (6500k) When I get teh bulbs I will do another light reading and see how the plants like it.
if it turns out you don't care for the pinkish grow lights... pm me. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think these lights are great i bought 4 of the 48" 108w 6500k t5 lights about 2 months ago now and my vivs are growing in like crazy.i got these same exact lights off of ebay for 64 bucks shipped u just cant beat the price i think.the only thing is they throw a little bit of heat and u definetly cant rest them on the viv it will burn your plants,so i heard lol.but i got my racks set up now and i have mounted the fixtures above the viv everything is great so far.hope this helps i know its not a long time but 4 fixtures 2 months no problems

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW
Thanks for all of the replies guys.
Im planning on ordering one this weekend (funds never go as far as we would like so I gota make sure i can afford it)

Side note
The ones I see on Ebay are all 2 bulb im interested in the 4 bulb.

But from the posts looks like I found a decent deal on a decent light.
Personaly I cant afford to spend over 100 on a light fixture call me cheap call me thrifty what ever I just personaly cant do it.

Ill keep everyone posted when I get it as to thoughts and concerns.

Thanks again everyone for the posts.
BTW Best prices i could find (4 bulb w led moon lights) was aquatraders as well.
You can order aquarium or plant kit (bulbs that come with the fixture)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.