Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
The stimulants in the moss milkshake (such as buttermilk) will quickly mold over in your vivarium. Milk molds very fast...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If there are no frogs in the tank then why not try it out...the mold will just get the springtail population booming. I hope it works out for you, keep us updated!

·
Registered
666 Posts
The stimulants in the moss milkshake (such as buttermilk) will quickly mold over in your vivarium. Milk molds very fast...
Which can be remedied by a quick spray of water.. I have used moss milkshakes in many vivs and never had a mold problem that didn't go away after a day or so..
What i'd be more worried about is the type of moss used (does it need a dormant period), any additional fertilizers added, and whatever is in the moisture retention additive that is mentioned in the mix. Their website doesn't give a ton of info so maybe contacting them and mentioning what you are using the moss mix for would provide a little more clarity as to if it will work for vivarium use..
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe this will work out, but I tried using a moss milkshake and it molded over horribly and I took it out. But if you wanna try it out, go for it and let us know how it goes. Maybe you'll have better luck than me

·
Administrator
8,720 Posts
I did moss milkshakes in a dozen vertical tanks about 10 or 11 years ago.

It worked fine. Yes, it's stinky/moldy to start - but just lightly mist it once or twice a day, while leaving it ventilated - and you'll be fine.

Supposedly a beer base instead works just as well, without as much mold.

You'll get moss growing anywhere eventually. It's going to happen if you have any peat in your tank anywhere.

s

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the reply to my email, I'll give it st try anyway. Otherwise I'll use it in My garden.

"Dear Mattias,

Thank you for contacting Moss Acres. I don’t recommend using the Moss
Milkshake for terrariums because it will take six to eight months to begin
to grow and will need cool damp weather/rain to grow. The best way to plant
your terrarium it to use the terrarium kits, it is established moss for an
instant look. Just remember that moss is a shade plant and needs good air
circulation using distilled water or if you can collected rain water is a
must using a Misting spray bottle is best.

Heidi Masucci
Operations Manager
www.mossacres.com
P) 866-438-6677
F) 570-253-9597 "

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I feel like a lot of moss milkshakes are kinda over complicated. I'd just take tropical moss from say Manuran or others sold on this board and chop/blenderize it a bit with distilled water. Then just spray all over the tank. Stuff usually sprouts up in a few weeks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts