Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering I am getting a couple and just thought i would see who else deals with them. Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know Ben Green at theChocohut.com has been doing really well with this species, you might try dropping him a line and picking his brain. He's out of town at the moment, but should be back in a week or so.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy. I will check with him and see what he thinks about them. They a very interesting species. I am excited to get them. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Who are you getting them from Josh? We got 0.0.6 from Ben Green a while ago. He said that our should be sexable (males should be calling) by late spring or into summer. So far by shape it is looking like we got all females. Time will tell I guess. But they are gorgeous frogs. Once we get our 29g bowfront redone they are all going to go into that tank. I can't wait to see them all together. They sound like they are great to watch in a community setting. Females will pounce on males while they are calling and just tackle them. I think it will be hilarious. Good luck with getting some though, I love ours.

-Shelley

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've been keeping these for years. Ben's frogs came from me and mine came from Mike Shrom and Anthony Mazeroll (who got them from Chuck). They are nearly bomb proof. They will eat anything they can stuff in their mouth, breed like rats, and have a wonderful canary-like call. The thin striped ones like Ben and I have originally were sold as lugubris but I had their DNA sequenced and they are vittatus.

I have mine set up where they can complete the whole reproductive cycle on their own which is pretty fun to watch. I've sold/traded lots of these over the years and almost everyone loves them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with Brent, they are a great frog. I have some from the line he refers to and a male from another. Mine are not very bold but I understand that is atypical behavior. My male calls all the time, mostly in the middle of the day, just about every day. As Brent said the call is really nice.
Ed

G

·
I have some I recieved from a guy that was into frogs a year or so ago but they are the same line and came from Ben.
They have a great call and are some of my favorites.They have 4-5 different calls for certain situation so that make them pretty cool in that respect.
Mark W.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. It sounds like these are great frogs I am glad I made the purchase. I am getting them from Patrick so I am sure they will be nice. Shelley I will keep you posted with mine maybe if I get all males we could do some trading. :) But either way I am very excited about them. I am also anxiuos to hear their call first hand. From what it sounds like their call is pretty interesting.
bbrock you had mentioned that you have them set-up to breed and raise young on their own. Would you be willing to sure a little information on that set-up? :lol: If not I understand. Thanks again for all of the information. It has been very helpful.

Josh

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jkinsey said:
Wow. It sounds like these are great frogs I am glad I made the purchase. I am getting them from Patrick so I am sure they will be nice. Shelley I will keep you posted with mine maybe if I get all males we could do some trading. :) But either way I am very excited about them. I am also anxiuos to hear their call first hand. From what it sounds like their call is pretty interesting.
bbrock you had mentioned that you have them set-up to breed and raise young on their own. Would you be willing to sure a little information on that set-up? :lol: If not I understand. Thanks again for all of the information. It has been very helpful.

You will love these frogs. They turned me into a a Phyllophile.

Josh
Hi Josh,

I don't know what line Patrick is selling but be aware there are different lines which do come from different populations. If Shelly got hers from Ben, then the are the so-called "thin-lined" or what I like to call "the froggies formerly known as lugubris". The "typical" vittatus has wider and more yellowish stripes. Brian Kubicki looked at some frogs decended from mine a few years ago and felt that he knew where they came from. I don't remember exactly where that was (stupid of me not to write it down) but I think it was from the eastern most part of their range which is interesting because that would place them closest to lugubris geographically which the somewhat resemble. But these have torquoise legs which Brian said no lugubris he has seen do.

As for my setup, there is no secret. You can see pictures on my website:
http://www.bbrock.frognet.org It is your basic false bottom setup with a coco hut and a pool of water. I will say thought that letting the frogs rear on their own, I get only 2-4 froglets a year, probably because many tads end up trapped under the false bottom. Pulling the eggs you can produce easily 50 or more froglets in a year from a pair. Ben is doing so well with them that I don't feel like I need to pull eggs anymore.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Ed Martin said:
I agree with Brent, they are a great frog. I have some from the line he refers to and a male from another. Mine are not very bold but I understand that is atypical behavior. My male calls all the time, mostly in the middle of the day, just about every day. As Brent said the call is really nice.
Ed
Their shyness is really variable. Mine are out all the time and don't even move out of the way when you put your hand in the viv. They are about equal to bicolor in boldness. But I've had people get frogs from me who say they never see them except maybe a butt as it scoots away to hide. Ben use to come over to my house and couldn't understand why my frogs were so bold but his would always hide. Now I think his are bold too but I'm not really sure why. I think in general having frogs out where there is people movement tends to habituate them and they become more bold. Anyway, if there is one downside to this frog, it is that in some cases they are shy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Patrick's line came from the same line as Ben's. I'd double-check that with Patrick just to make sure, but I believe that to be the case.

G

·
Like Brent pointed out about them breeding like mad here is an example I witnessed today.
My trio were really cranked up with both males calling and the female jumping from one male to the other.Their viv was really overgrown so I trimmed out a big handful of Synonium erthrophyllum so I could watch the show better.
It stopped their mating dance for maybe 5 minutes and then one of males came out and had a tad on it's back !! He started calling and the female was pounced on him. Hard to say how maybe he may have lost with her doing that to him.
Very cool frogs and fun to watch.
Mark W.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Randy said:
If I'm not mistaken, Patrick's line came from the same line as Ben's. I'd double-check that with Patrick just to make sure, but I believe that to be the case.
I think that's right, I think I remember Ben mentioning trading with him but Patrick may have more than one line.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bbrock-Set-up looks great. I think the setup I have should do. Either way these frogs look great. I am very anxiuos to see them first hand. Thanks again everyone for y0our responses. I will keep you updated on the progress.
Josh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts