Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this interesting yet sad live action nature show while riding my bike a while back... Put down the pitch forks LoL

Feel free to share any interesting pics you have... Could be anything, in viv or in situ, frog or otherwise... Enjoy!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your lucky to have a cool animal like that around… Selfishly of course, as it may not be the best for your local ecosystem. During my brief stay in Florida there were tons of invasive animals running around. Its like one giant open air zoo down there.

I’d be sitting on my dock fishing, hear a sound and turn my head, only to find a huge green iguana staring at me like “WTF are you looking at?”. Of course I had to catch some just to check them out then let them go. Maybe I’ll post some pics if I can find them. The sad part is that people down there shoot them any time they see them. They eat their prized plants.

I think green and brown anoles and the reef gecko (Sphaerodactylus notatus) are the only lizards that are indigenous. Everything else is invasive and there are a lot. From day geckos to chameleons, pythons obviously, all the way to tarantulas. Found a dead mexican redknee tarantula in my pool once. That made me pay way more attention to my surroundings when I was in my yard, especially at night LoL

Are there any other notable invasive critters running around in Hawaii? I’ve heard there are lots of day geckos…

Spotted this guy during a hike at Lyon Arboretum on my birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beautiful pic, that tree is amazing!

I'm not a huge fan of bromeliads but those are really nice. They would mount perfectly and more importantly, naturally on a background in a viv.

Do you know what type they are?

One of many nature shots from my trip to the El Yunque rainforest in Puerto Rico

·
Registered
44 Posts
Beautiful pic, that tree is amazing!

I'm not a huge fan of bromeliads but those are really nice. They would mount perfectly and more importantly, naturally on a background in a viv.

Do you know what type they are?

Not sure what species of bromeliads. Been meaning to research it but haven't had time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if you do get around to it please let me know. I really dig the way they look on the face of that tree.

If I find out first I'll let you know...

Cheers

Not sure what species of bromeliads. Been meaning to research it but haven't had time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts