Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Nephrolepsis exaltata aka lemon button fern. How well does it hold up in a terrarium and does it have any special needs? Thanks a lot.

-Bryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you have a pic of one? I just pulled a bunch of some species of fern out of my bicolors viv that must have came in with the corkbark. It produces runners and it is everywhere in the tank."Weeding" the fern out and the ficus pumila is about a bimonthly thing in that viv.
I have some orchids in there that have been doing good so I don't like having the other plants shading them too much.BTW,the viv has been set up for just about 2 years.
Mark W.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i dont happen to have a picture but each frond in maid up of little rounded oval leaflets seperate from eaichother similar to a maiden hair fern which will be my second choice.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I actually just bought one of them today, it looks like it will do good in a tank.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
let me know how it does i should be getting mine probably next week if i get my background finished and my hood setup, then i should be ordering some plants from custom ecos as well.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Thats it! Looks like it is doing well in that tank.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have had one in my tank for several months now with no problems. I bought it at Home Depot. It doesn't take over the tank like some ferns will and is very attractive.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been pretty insensitive to mine. I've kept it in low light, high light, let it go dry and also kept it fairly wet, and the plant seemed to take it in stride. It doesn't need as much light as some other terrarium plants, so I like to put it in places accordingly.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man thats nice, how hard is java to obtain and then get started?

Thanks,
Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go to a local fish store (a decent one) and buy a handful. As long as you put it in or near water, or have an area humid enough, it will grow just fine. Just try it out and you'll see.
j

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
My lemon button ferns have almost overgrown my mantella tank, 40 gallon breeder, lit by two 36 watt compacts.
The tank has been set up for about a year and a half.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts