Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came across this in the wild and like the look and started doing some research, it's a type of Marsh Mermaid weed. This family of plants seem common in aquariums, and this species of it can survive in water or up on land nearby. I have them in a quarantine after thoroughly cleaning them (just water, no bleach or anything) they are soaking in one of my fruit fly cups with a springwater/distilled mix with a drop of blackwater extract, keeping an eye on any hitch hikers and changing water out every couple days.
I'm thinking of putting some in my R. Variabilis viv. Now I am a bit north on east coast u.s. where i harvested this but this plant is native all the way down to Central America so it definitely lives in tropical areas aswell. I've found vague mentions of it used in with frogs and other amphibians but nothing beyond vague mention. Also could be useful in my tadpole cups I'm assuming. Any thoughts?
Leaf Plant Branch Twig Flower

·
Administrator
6,716 Posts
Plants that don't survive a bleach dip don't enter my frog vivs (well, not anymore...sigh). "Quarantine" only works if (a) the target organisms can reliably be seen visually, or (b) if the QT period is long enough that target organisms are known not to survive that long without a host or under the QT conditions.

I'm an 'ounce of prevention' sort of person, just for reference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been the same way with my other plants, but I'm not sure if these would survive it or not, and I'm also in no rush to introduce them to any viv or tadpole cup, I can keep these separate for a year if I feel I need to, I'm more curious about their survivability in a PDF vivarium and does anyone have any experience with the species.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried growing this once in a riparium setup, but it pooped out. I think it might require fairly bright lighting.

You can get this plant in tissue culture and that material should be totally clean...

Proserpinaca Palustris Aquatic Farmer Tissue CultureDefault Title
[/QU
That's a different variety, this one is Pectinata not Palustris, tho I wouldn't be surprised if I could find a tissue culture somewhere. I kind of like that I found this one in nature and who knows maybe it has some characteristic from its local different than what's out there. I'm keepingvthem quarantined for awhile, I may use bleach or peroxide or something of that nature to sterilize undecided yet I can split em up and try few ways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts