Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dreaming of getting this species for a long time. Couldn't find them anywhere. Now I'm a seriously broke college student (1 more semester!) and they are gonna be available. Anyone planning on getting these from UE? I'm thinking about trying to sell a kidney to get these:D

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I don't remember seeing them on the last list from them I got..

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
They sent out an e-mail update this morning that talked about them having some ready for release....Pretty good price too for a rare frog.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one of my favs as well, last time I saw one was in like 99 or something. I really hope they become established in the hobby so I will be able to get my hands on some in the future.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
This is an amazing species that I had the pleasure to work with in the mid-90s and never thought I would see again. They are super hardy and will breed without the need for a rainchamber. The adults will cary the developing eggs in a back pouch and odds are that you will never even know until you see tads in the water area. Can't recommend enough to anyone who has the extra funds and space.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I remember getting these in the 90's from LA Reptile, think they were $10.00 ea, actually watched one expel tads, it was crazy to watch. I could never get them at current prices, my memory would'nt let me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I remember getting these in the 90's from LA Reptile, think they were $10.00 ea, actually watched one expel tads, it was crazy to watch. I could never get them at current prices, my memory would'nt let me.
Ante up Bill! Put the past behind you! ;) I don't think I can do it right now either :( They are truly a dream genus for me though...maybe one of these nights...if I've had a few too many beers...Hopefully they don't stay available long! JVK

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
G. cornuta that's awesome, those are some of the coolest in the genus. How long ago were you working with them?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Never had the chance to work with riobambae but have worked with cornuta, incredible genus and another reason I wish I wasn't chronically broke.
Are they extinct in the wild (cornuta), I thought they were, or it might have been Hemiphractus fasciatus? Just curious, thanks! JVK

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now that you mention it I vaguely remember a picture on a conservation website (don't remember the site though) that had a caption that said something about them being extinct in the wild. I think it was G. conruta they were talking about. It was about a year ago....maybe someone else will remember what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Neither G. cornuta nor Hemiphractus fasciatus are extinct in the wild, both are in decline, especially in the case of cornuta. H. fasciatus is still common in certain areas. I worked with both for about two months at a facility in Panama. Watching a cornuta pair mate was incredible, the male individually handling and fertilizing each egg and placing them in the female's pouch. The largest eggs of any amphibian.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts