Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i went wrong on my substrate. I have about a inche of gravel and then coco bedding over that...but it seems to be constantly water logged and the tank has a bad smell.So im thinking of changing some things. Anyone else get all done and then realize they want a huge change?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yup. But it's the coco bedding that is not allowing the water to drain thru. I use the coco bedding/tree fern fiber mix method. This keeps the coco bedding from compacting, (remember the block you had to soak in water to expand?) and allows the water to drain through it, keeping it from getting so water-logged. You can use coco chips or coco fiber for this also. If you are going to tear the tank down you might also consider Terralite instead of gravel. It's lighter and larger than gravel and does a better job as gravel tends to get compacted also.

My first, biggest and nicest tank has one drawback, gravel over the false bottom. It's okay, but now I wish I had used Terralite. I'll replace it someday.....live and learn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll vouch for the terralite. just be sure to soak it for a few days before adding your substrate, it floats but when it finaly becomes saturated you will be thankful you used it.
i also went into a viv project with a flawed plan, every aspect of it failed. one of my follies involved soaked cocofiber. i used coco ontop of gravel and if the water line was less than 1'' from the substrate, the coco would stay waterlogged. i had better results with terrralite and orchid substrate/coco mix
the viv i am setting up now, i am taking my sweet ass time so i can modify it as my as my plan changes, going on 6 months for a tree frog enclosure and i am constantly finding better solutions to irreversible aspects of construction. as you said live and learn.
any one know if clown trees can coinhabit with red eyes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
same thing with me almost. I just set up a second tank with gravel under my substrate and it wont drain at all. both my other tanks are false bottom, and they work fantastic. i might try the terralite, but then again, the false bottom works so well, i dont think i need to change.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
No, clown tree frogs (Hyla leucophylatta) cannot be mixed with red-eyed tree frogs (Agalychnis callidryas).

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am terrible with this. I am never satisfied with my Vivs. I just tore down a tank last night because I wasn't happy with it. (and the pump quit :evil: )

My frogs are sitting in their temp 2.5 g homes at the moment. They travel in these little tanks too. I guess they are used to it by now. :?

Viv building is half the fun at least it is for me, so i don't mind.

-Richard

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think its a reflection of the learning curve--as we learn more tank-building techniques, we want to put them into practice. I know I have redone about half of the 20 or so tanks I've got, and each time have "bettered" something. Whether it was a better cork background, a better way of attaching the plants, a better way to move the water or a better eggcrate bottom, all were improvements. Its also a double-edged sword; as the tank starts to "mature", I'm disrupting it. :roll:
Always tradeoffs in life...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another Q. i have: I bought my d. azureus from patrick at http://www.Saurian.net (thnx patrick "hes" doing well) and its still too young to sex. I have a 7 gallon bowfront Viv thats heavily planted as i said above , with lots of hiding places. When my frog is able to be sexed can i sport another to breed?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If you want a pair, I would suggest getting a bigger enclosure. 7 gallons would be too cramped for two adults, IMHO. Get a 20 gallon long. They are cheap, and a standard size.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn that sucks. This aquarium was expensive. It appears to be almost the same size as my 10 gallon fish tank. I heard that they do better in pairs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
substrate

I havent used the terralite stuff yet.. But I wanted to add that I get great results with a gravel base, and a mixture of Spagnum moss compost, A premixed bag of BONZI substrate...wich is used to get great drainage....and some dried spagnum moss and a liitle cocofiber. It hasnt started to pack down when wet.

Swann

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Terralite is more widely known under the brand names Hydroton or LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate). It is very popular for hydroponic gardening. I was able to find a local source that sells it for $40 for 50 liter bags. Check the phone listings for places that specialize in hydroponic gardening and I'm sure you'll find it. Some general nurseries even sell the stuff. If you must order online, then online hydroponic gardening sites will have it cheaper than at the vivarium sites. Just use a search engine and query the term Hydroton or LECA.

For you scientifically curious types, here's everything you ever wanted to know about the stuff:

http://data.isy.net/home/3330/574.pdf

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So i went out and got a 16G Bowfront. I dont think i'll have space problems for a bit. The thing that sucks is this is like the 5th one i've bought in 3 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts