Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious who's from the state and where you might be located. I'm up in Dallas and I know a few people around town, but that's about it.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I'm from Texas, but I currently live in Michigan. Grew up in Houston, and lived in Denton for a couple years.

If you haven't, contact Cindy Dickens (vivariumconcepts.com) about getting signed up for the Texas Dart Frogs email list.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Zach, sorry you lived in Denton;) Not much going on there unless your going to UNT. I've known Cindy since before I left the hobby 10 years ago and have spoken with her recently. She's a good person. I'm on the mailing list too, but there isn't a whole lot happening on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Down in San Antonio, but make a trip or two to FTW every month. Not a whole lot going on my way either. Maybe get together at the next show for a meet and greet.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't figure out why there aren't more froggers around here. What kind of frogs are you keeping?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am from Houston. I too can't beleive how little there is around here with us Texans and our frogs. I know they are out there. I have 2 kinds of dart frogs and love them. I am looking to pick up about 3 more groups or maybe 4 and then see what happens. I love the E. Tricolor, Leucs, Blue Auratus just to start off with. I know the lady from Dallas you mention. She is nice and I have bought some supplies from her. She is however a bit high on her frogs. I went to the last show in Houston and met up with her. I have bought my good stock from Josh's frogs. He has been a major help to me. Walked me through setting up the Viv's right to making sure the frogs were doing ok. Also sent me what he uses for the pairs to lay eggs in to get me started. Can't beat the guy in my opinion. Anyway hope to hear back from some of you and let's get this group going here..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks I have emailed them to see what they have. I know there are several frog keepers in this area but I guess they keep a low profile. Anyhow consider me a new friend and maybe we can chat sometime over frogs and coffee. Had to throw that in sounded kind of neat. Keep in touch.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ok count me in Tim!
I am in Plano (North Dallas area).
I also figured their would be more Texas Froggers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well then maybe it's up to us to find them and bring them here. I know of several in the houston area but never seem to run into them. I know of a pet shop that sells lots of darts in the area so they have to be here. Maybe we can get everyone involved here and bring lilfe to this group.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I grew up just across the Oklahoma border in Ardmore. I lived in Sherman for three years working for Texas Instruments, then four years at College Station finishing up my B.S. and completing an M.S. If memory serves, there is a great pet store somewhere around Katy with some awesome vivs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is Pet's a Plenty on Hwy 6. Picked up 4 Mantellas there about 2 months ago. Nice set ups and willing to deal with a buy it now attitude. Frogs are doing great and eat like pigs. Also have Amazonia Milk Frogs from Patrick Nabors. Working on two more tanks for some new additions but undecided at this point. Anyone want to comitt to a meeting at the Lone Star Expo? Need to finish up some work and I am sure I will be there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm from the RGV, about 4 hours south of San Antonio. There are no vivs here :*( The only time I've seen anything related to a PDF was a Red Eared Mantella(he came home with me:) ) But otherwise this hobby doesn't really seem to exist here.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Howdy!
We live in Magnolia, just north of The Woodlands, and that's north of Houston. I've had my darts for a little over 5 yrs now and they're doing great. You guys are right - Texas froggers are few and far between. Can't figure out why - it's such a cool hobby!

A lot of pdfs are pretty resilient. About 2 1/2 yrs ago, we packed up a tank with 3 auratus into a moving van for what we thought would be just one day. Unfortunately, we didn't close on our new home until 8 days later, and I was frantic. After all, it was April in Houston, and it gets toasty really quick. I'm happy to say that all survived and they're thriving. I also have powder blues, azureus, cobalts and leucs. Make that 'a LOT of leucs'...would anybody be interested in acquiring a few? Drop me a pm and let's talk frog -

kristi

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Kristi, good to hear another Texas frogger. I know someone interested in leucs. I'll send you a pm.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very nice - thanks, Tim!

I'm not yet ready to start shipping yet, so I'm hoping some local froggers will come to my aid. I'm thinking that I may contact the local schools to see if they'd like to learn about the frogs and their environment and donate a tank or two. That way, maybe I can help develop more interest in the hobby as well as increased awareness regarding pdfs in the wild. Hmmm, it could work -

take care -
kristi

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm live in Buna, which is north of Beaumont. I just got my first dart frog (Azureus) Monday. I'm very excited to see him grow in his new viv.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey, i live in dallas and am having a hard time finding a male leuc for my female. Think anyone can help me? I am looking for pick up not too far from Dallas. I would like a male breeding age cause i really want to breed her think it would b a cool experience.

Thanks
Josh

[email protected] or pm

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe once you get some vent froglets we can swap some froglets to get some different blood into our groups. I think I'll have some eggs very soon.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts