Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to see if anyone has been successful breeding the UE 3 stripe green trivs. I have a group of 4 that appear to be 2.2 in a 40 breeder viv with heavy plant cover, a river and a good size pond. I get calling and the frogs are HUGE but I have yet to see any breeding activity. I was hoping someone may have some insight as to what I may be able to do to get this guys fired up. They are at least 18 months old and I keep them in the coolest spot in my frog room where the viv probably gets around 77 at the highest and drops to the mid 60's at night. I'm thinking they may still be a bit young, but they have been calling for at least 4 months now. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,752 Posts
I do not know if it applies to all Ameerega species but at least the pepperis are seasonal breeders. Some people speculate they do best in the Northeast region of the US due to the colder and often stormy fall/winter weather.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I get calling in the fall winter but no breeding. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Would love to get trivs to if I had the rm. Keep us posted if they breed. Thanks John

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the cold weather will stimulate them this winter since they were likely not old enough to breed last winter.
Tricolor, I had the same problem with my pepperi. I had them for nearly 4 years and could not get them to breed. I eventually gave them to someone with prior success breeding them and I believe he has got them breeding again. Better there than doing nothing in my frog room.
I have considered draining the pond and turning off the river for a few months to simulate a dry season, then mist heavily and refill in hopes it will get them going. I guess if they truly are seasonal that should help do the trick. I haven't done it yet because I keep hearing them call and I get excited like "hey, maybe today's the day, don't mess with anything" but it never is...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I do not know if it applies to all Ameerega species but at least the pepperis are seasonal breeders. Some people speculate they do best in the Northeast region of the US due to the colder and often stormy fall/winter weather.
I might have to agree with this.
My Pepperi were breeding during the winter but when summer came, they completely shut down. Havent heard a peep from them or got eggs since then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been working with a group of 8 UE Huallaga canyon trivittatus for around 3 years. Not sure what the sex ratio is but based on size I'd say 5.3 in a 90 gallon tank. I had no breeding until around 2.5 years of age. I've had a lot of production in the last year more than 150 eggs with the largest clutch being 29 eggs. Average clutch size is 16 but I suspect a fair amount of egg eating goes on. I do not have a stream or body of water in their viv. I do not spray all that frequently. I get a lot of calling before storm and typically find eggs on cooler nights after storms. I do not disturb them much and their tank is heavily planted. The biggest issue I have is getting the froglets out of the water. Once they pop their front legs they seem to drown very easily even in the tiniest amount of water. Of those more than 150 eggs I've collected I have only produced around 50 froglets. Although as of late I have been doing much better with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts