Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if there are any others on here.

im not a professional, but ive been training professionally for metalworking and forging as a compliment to my industrial design degree. ive got credit for a welding class (from our school of design) and im working on forging (blacksmithing) at the moment.

its pretty fun! and thats quite the understatement. theres just a feeling about being able to create something with your hands that cant be matched.

james

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ex-metal worker here. Started out in an industrial boiler repair shop, blowtorches, stick welding, cutting out rotten sections of 3/8" to 1/2" thick plate, then cutting, fitting,and welding new ones in their place on pressure vessels. It was some seriously good experience for the next job. After 5 yrs there I gained employment in a small, hi-end custom fabrication shop up here in north jersey. The majority of our clients were in NYC. We were working w/ everything from bronze to stainless steel. Did a little bit of forging here and there, but mostly tig welding, machining, press brake operation etc. The only cpu operated thing we had before it took a crap was a plasmacam. I'm also quite experienced in patina work, gunmetal finishes, antique finishes,etc, etc. But after being there for three years it was time to leave (sad situation, loved what I did, but the working environment was rediculous and so was the boss).
There is definitely something to be said for a hand crafted piece. That first perfect thing that you created from raw material. It's a great feeling of accomplishment. Not to sound cheesey but when I see the jeep commercial talking about how america was built by craftsmen, and that what you make makes you, the hair stands up on the back of my neck. It's a great feeling of pride for me to this day when I talk about or see the things I've built. My advice to you is to never give up, keep pestering people who work at these kind of shops to learn some new tricks and don't think anything is beneath you. To be really good you have to do it all, layout, cut, fit, weld, grind, machine, drill, design, and finish.
If you want pm me or check me out on facebook. I still have a few photos of some of my work.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I used to forge and heat treat knives and swords for many years. Still love to source out good steel and turn it into tools and stuff. My dad's been teaching all types of welding for at least 30 years so I guess I got stated in welding and branched into other areas. Very neat hobby if you have the space/tools/time.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Not a metal worker - but I can work with metal. :p I used to work part time for a local speed shop & I helped out wherever I could welding, planning, & running the CNC. Best job I've ever had.
A buddy of mine & I started our own shop for awhile afterward - eventually I got out of it, tho.

100% custom from start to finish:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I do some oxyacetylene welding/cutting. I stink at it, but there's nothing like cutting through heavy plate with a torch!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dont know if youd say i work with metal, but i design stamping dies. Mainly automotive, some appliance and furniture. Pretty much, if its metal, i can design you a machine that'll make it. Im not hands on with it, the machines scare the heck out of me, the guys at work know better than to let me run a mill or anything else. lots of 9 fingered guys in my trade...
derek

·
Registered
327 Posts
Im a structural steel designer, so I design things with metal but I don't actually work directly with metal. I sit in a cubical and make pretty pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have an oxyacetylene welding and cutting set too but I use it for my trucks and trailors work. My mig welder was stolen a year ago. I have been looking for a local to weld me a few stands out of 1'' square tubing for my new larger vivs. I want the welds clean and the metal smooth and paintable. I am not good enough at it to do it myself.

Michael

·
Registered
903 Posts
I spent a couple of years working as a commercial diver and welder (welding/cutting above and below water). I also worked as a machinist in a CNC shop. It all seems like a lifetime ago....

I still do some machining/fabrication work at home when I need something that's not readily available. I've been fabricating mounting plates for my PC fans and misting nozzles for vivariums out of aluminum flat stock.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh and sorry I forgot,
Christopher Desmond

take care and keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an oxyacetylene welding and cutting set too but I use it for my trucks and trailors work. My mig welder was stolen a year ago. I have been looking for a local to weld me a few stands out of 1'' square tubing for my new larger vivs. I want the welds clean and the metal smooth and paintable. I am not good enough at it to do it myself.

Michael
perhaps we can work out a trade if your interested. im pretty capable with a tig welder. i would love to do my whole room with brushed tig welded aluminum, but its just out of my price range :(

james

1 - 11 of 11 Posts