Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m currently in Puerto Rico and while out and about I came across this plant. I thought it looked interesting and thought I’d try to figure out if it might be suitable for a viv. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That looks like a tradescantia, they see a good bit of use in vivs here stateside. I'm kind of jealous that you can find those just out and about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that’s it. Thanks. There is so much out here I wish I had more time to explore. I’m hoping to make it out to el yonque today but they probably wouldn’t think kindly of collecting from there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I also found a bunch of these guys. I’d love to bring some home but I don’t know anything about the process involved in doing so. They are loud but I really enjoy their call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's a tradescantia. They are super easy to propagate and I see them for sale pretty often in garden centers so I didn't know they were hard to find for some. I don't recommend it for a viv if you want it to look good because it gets leggy and it's pretty weedy but its a great plant for breeder and grow in tanks.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It's a tradescantia. They are super easy to propagate and I see them for sale pretty often in garden centers so I didn't know they were hard to find for some. I don't recommend it for a viv if you want it to look good because it gets leggy and it's pretty weedy but its a great plant for breeder and grow in tanks.
I'm with Schledog.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
It's definitely a tradescantia, often called the Wandering Jew. I have a few varieties in my garden, and they will do well in tanks. They are so common that, ethical issues aside, there's no reason to attempt collection from the wild. They're gorgeous plants.

El yunque! Oh, man, I wish we could trade places. That's one of the most beautiful locations in the world! I've hiked the aquaduct trail there, and it's just amazing. I hope you'll post lots of photos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's definitely a tradescantia, often called the Wandering Jew. I have a few varieties in my garden, and they will do well in tanks. They are so common that, ethical issues aside, there's no reason to attempt collection from the wild. They're gorgeous plants.

El yunque! Oh, man, I wish we could trade places. That's one of the most beautiful locations in the world! I've hiked the aquaduct trail there, and it's just amazing. I hope you'll post lots of photos.

Yes it looks exactly like tile pictures I’ve found online.
The wife likes it enough to see how it grows in her tank, otherwise it’ll make a nice house plant. I wish I’d taken a picture of it where it was growing as it looked pretty cool. Thanks for everyone’s input.

Woodswalker, I could easily spend the day up there. My grandparents had a farm in Adjuntas and my siblings, cousins, and I would get lost for hours exploring when we were kids. Unfortunately my time was really short but I did manage to take a few pics, since you asked I’ll post a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man that's just mean!!!! ;) Seriouly though those are awesome photos. You should be just fine with taking some Tradescantia as long as you aren't uprooting a plant. Generally as long as it's not rare and it can be propagated you should be ok but this plant is almost like a weed. Just try and find a node/a place where there is a slightly raised circle around the stem and cut it slightly below there. The plant you would cut would be fine and the cutting you took can be placed straight into soil or water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts