Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just recently got an amazing deal on a 70 gallon tank, and I want peoples opinions. At first I was thinking I would do my colony of mantella aurantiaca in it, however it is way too tall for them. It would just be wasted space in my opinion. I have been playing the idea of getting some ventrimaculatus, however, this size seems a little large unless I stocked it with 2 pairs or so, right? Does anyone have any opinions on what I could/should do with something this size. I am not sure the exact dimensions, but it is about 48 x 13 x 24? (I am unsure the height). Keep in mind I would probably only start off with maybe $200 in frogs for it at first. I would definitely do pumilio almirantes otherwise. Thanks for all the help you have all previously given me, as well as the help you will give me.

Ed Parker

G

·
I think you could put more than 2 pair of vents in a 70 gallon tank (I think if you only put 2 pair in you might never see them). You could probably but a colony of 10-20 in there.

Whats the foot print on the tank? I think most anything would be happy in there.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'd say that your tank isn't unusually tall--anything over 24" would, in my impression, be a tall tank. Why not try a group of terribilis or tinctorius to take advantage of 4 feet of floor space to roam?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You can give it to me....lol

Actually-
You can do whatever you want with it.

whatever you do.... please share some photos.

2 pairs of vents would not be enough- you will never see them. I have a pair in a ten gallon and I don't see them half the time. I would go with something bold like azureus or tincs.

Justin

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. I was pretty excited to get this tank. I only paid $25 for it, and the only thing wrong with it is the hard water buildup that tanks get when used with fish. Anyway, what other darts like tall tanks? I don't think azureus do, tincs probably do, however, I am not really into tincs yet. I like thumbs, especially pumilio's and vents, and all the hard to gets. This tank has a 48 inch by 13 inch foot print. I will definitely put some pictures up when I finish it. I am sure no one really knows, but, how many frogs in the wild would patrol this size of a territory, either thumbnails or larger darts. I was thinking if I only put a pair or so of vents, than it might be a lot more natural for them, because each wouldhave plenty of their own space. WEll, keep the suggestions rolling. I am definitely going with a water fall though.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would definately go with a larger/bolder frog for a tank that size. I would suggest either luecs or auratus (green and black or green and bronze) for tank of that size. They will probably use the height the best. You could easily go with six, and still have plenty of room for them.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ed-

There are some good products out there that eliminate hard water build-up. Try a web search and see if any are organic and safe.

You are going to do a water feature...right? You really have an opportunity to get some really interesting plants as well which may typically outgrow the smaller vivs. It would be nice to see a waterfall cascading down the entire height of the tank with some LARGE broms, ect. I would keep in mind that a tank this size it is not feasible to tare-down and "fix" pumps, standing water, or multiple tare-downs, so I would think of building a balanced 'ecosystem' and after you figure out which plants and water features work, buy a frog for that environment.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Use a mixture of vinegar and hot water to remove the hard water stains, the more vinegar the better depending on how tough the stains are but use very hot water. Spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes then scrub.

As far as frogs go, mantellas or thumbnail frogs would get lost in such a big tank. I doubt you would see them much, leucs, tincs, azureus, ect... would be a better choice. I had a large group of mantellas in a 40 xtra high, but I had like 10 of them in there.

G

·
THere wwas an ad in the newspaper the other day for a 100 w/ lights and all that fish stuff for 25 bucks! :shock: Unfourtunantly by the time i go to the newspaper (like 4 when i got home from school) it was sold. Im pretty sure it was sold before it was even printed. Oh well at least im checking the paper more regularly. :lol:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would suggest a colony of Terreblis (spelling? I'm really tired o_O). They're awesome frogs, quite big and you can keep 5 or so in a tank that big. Good call and lay tons of eggs, as well as will use the full space, if they can reach it that is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts