Dendroboard banner

Any help with sundew?

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  GreenyMeany 
#1 ·
I have had my 2 lance leaf sundew for about a month now. I ordered from online store did not arrive in best shape but they are growing; the problem is no dew is forming, hairs still all white, not sure on growth rate but I think they are growing small and slow compared to what I have read.

I have them in glass fish bowl terrarium style; bottom layer rocks, activated carbon then layer of long fiber spag moss to keep substrate away from drainage

soil is 2 part peat 1 part perlite 1 part silica sand (all organic no fertilizer) on top layer of long spag moss

Bowl sits in sunny window no direct light, has seran rap on top with holes for ventilation - did this because I thought humility maybe too low - now I am not sure if they get enough air flow - they maybe getting too hot - I have a 60w CFL 65k in lamp facing bowl aprox 8in away - soil stays nice and moist

As mentioned very slow growth, no dew, hairs all white (would like to get them pink/red but more worried about no dew) - also room temp stays about 70 deg. - not sure about bowl temp - would also like to keep them in the bowl in same spot..so I can watch them grow :)...but if not possible would rather have healthy sundew

any help?

new to this will try to figure out how to to get pics up...lol no joke maybe a pm to explain how would be nice...but sure ill figure it out...im at least going to post this

See less See more
#3 ·
also, of course distilled water used...too many of my plants require:)

Also needing help with an Ant Plant but hope to get these going first...Ant Plant I think on rebound no clue what happened...anyway hope to find some help here I do have, well maybe, too many healthy exotic plants ranging from all types...I do fancy my Epiphytic plants. Maybe I can return the favor.

#5 ·
it is...ty for answer - I think drainage is fine - hmm yeah I've been thinking light too - finiky little plants if you ask me, had in another window that got some direct light (late day) and they started to fry in one day - I do think you are right, not sure how to fix location wise - maybe up the artificial light i guess I know from that stand point nowhere near lumins needed but thought window would suffice

#8 ·
Thank you, I will take plastic off top for a while and see if that does trick - wish I had something to measure light - I will say orchid is fine in same window; will be much happy when I can take it back outside to it's home but it has higher light requirements then drosera adelae so another reason I'm a little puzzled - not new to carnivorous plants but this is my first sundew and heard it was a good one to start with, not too sure about that now...plastic off would be nice cheap easy fix, hope it works - lack of pink/red still has me concerned about lighting but dew is top priority...I'll let you know...still open to suggestions and ty again.

#9 ·
I'd be willing to bet your 'Dews leaves aren't showing color because your light is very low for these type of plants. CPs grow in full sun 10-14 hours or possibly longer in other continents. I grow Lance Leafs too but I grow them in the following conditions:

Lighting: 1x Compact Florescent 18 watts by the brand Coralife (Spare fixture I had left over from the Reefing days) It is on for 10 hours. It will increase soon.

Bulb: 10,000K

Substrate: Just long fiber sphagnum moss; your soil recipe and drainage is fine.

However, you're plants are too far away from the light. 3 or 4 inches away. Basically as close as you can get the plant to the light without burning them.

Your 'Dews aren't producing dew most likely to the fact, the humidity was too low before you added the saran wrap. To rule out over heating, you might want to purchase a therm/hydro thermometer and put the unit in the bowl with the saran on and see how warm.

Temps: 75-80F

Your leaves aren't brown so that's a good sign. :)

I'll include pics of my setup shortly.

#11 ·
In my experience, they prefer lots of air, lots of sun, and consistently damp substrate. I grew mine in a window that was usually open except during heat waves, full sun at least 5-6 hours a day, very bright the rest of the time, in a pot in a pebble bed with water. Substrate was either pure Sphagnum or pure peat moss. Unlike many of the plants we grow in the various related hobbies here, these are not understory plants, or epiphytes. They grow in FULL BLAST AUSTRALIAN SUN. I very rarely misted mine. The only reason I didn't keep mine outside (I was living in Australia at the time) was because the city was under water restrictions due to drought and they would have needed tons of water in the summer.
They reproduce easily by leaf cuttings (in my experience) so you could try propagating a few plants and testing various conditions. See what works best for you.

#13 ·
I don't doubt it at all, as I have seen many of my plants "in lighting areas that is a no-no according to books" flourish - Amazing how they can adapt - also these sundew are native to Australia so makes perfect sense - I am assuming these have been cultivated to the point where they can no longer handle any direct sun...doesn't been I can't clone a few and do some tests, as I do enjoy doing just that...like to propagate from healthy clippings, so once I get these going some tests will be soon to follow - lol and probably like by VFTs I will have more healthy ones then I know what to do with - just need some time and thanks for all your input

#12 ·
Thanks Fishr - I do need to purchase one of those, lol I use to take pride on being able to just read and figure out where I need to put plants; as well as knowing what a healthy specimen looks like.

seran wrap off for now - light is closer, also to edit original post, the CFL is 6500k full spectrum, 60w...still think i need more - also thanks for pic will need time to mess with setup taking your post into consideration.

I am aware of, lets say most CP, lighting needs; for most love as much sun as you can give..VFT love it here in KY outside and of course even more when I lived in SC. I guess its the fact that these can't really handle any direct sun in KY and I haven't been able to find that happy medium...yet...I will:)

thanks for all your posts; I'll keep you all updated and hopefully with a updated pic of my happy healthy sundew.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.