Dendroboard banner

ants?

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Rain_Frog 
micro ants

I have collected "micro ants" here in Kansas. They are about the size of a large springtail, and slower moving then the larger ants. They are blackish brown in color. I collect them by just putting a piece of bread in a cup and waiting about an hour when it swarms with these little ants. They are easy to shake off. Just shake them into a funnel so they will fall into a container with your vitamin supplement. At first I didn't have high hopes, after listening to the discussion of formic acid, but my tinc seemed to like them. He ate quite a few, but still seems to prefer the larger, meatier, fruit flies. (I put fruit flies and ants in to see his preference) It would probably be an excellent and easy way to feed froglets and thumbnails, considering their small size, easy to collect, and slower moving attributes, IF other frogs will accept them and not just tinctorius. They are definitely easier to capture, find, and transport compared to springtails.

Rain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.