Dendroboard banner

ants?

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Rain_Frog 
Ants are part of the main diet in the wild. The only thing to be careful of in insecticides. Also this will aid in the production of their natural toxins. It has been isolated to two chemical compounds that create the toxins in the frogs. Ants are highly acidic and frogs re-synthesis the toxins to a great potency. I do not have the New York Post article with me but I will look it up and post the chemicals. I personally have fed ant to my dart frogs before.

Later and happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

I have not had a problem feeding black ant to my Tinc pair. You can also buy ants from http://www.carolina.com along with termites.

The article in the New York Post is from Sept. 2, 2003, under the Science Desk Observatory called “Frogs as a Poison Factory” By HENRY FOUNTAIN. You can pay $2.95 to the New York Post for a copy of the article but I received my from a school database. The National Institutes of Health and National Aquarium in Baltimore researchers found “PTX alkaloid is converted into much more potent, deadly substance on frog's skin than level originally consumed by frog.”

“The researchers fed the frogs a synthetic DHQ and a synthetic PTX. They found that four-fifths of the PTX had been converted to a much more potent form.” This researcher was conducted on the genus Dendrobates.

Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.