Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Anthurium scandens has fruit forming. How do i know when its ripe? How do i harvest the seed? How to i prepare the seed? And last, how do i go about sowing the seed?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I grow quite a few anthurium species from seed. In the wild the berries get eaten by birds. When the birds eat the soft berry, their bill/beak is coated in the sticky mucus from the fruit and they attempt to wipe it off on a branch or rock. Often, this results in the hard seed getting stuck on the side of a tree, and then you get a happy epiphyte.

When I get fresh seed, I typically squish the berry in my hand and remove the seed. This lessens the chance of the berry pulp rotting and creating fungus or mold problems. Place your seeds on damp epiphyte media (I used a mix of tree fern with a tiny bit of humus) and keep under high humidy and light. In a very short time you should have tons of seedlings to grow out. Also, they berries can be literally squished into cracks and pockets in your terrariums where they should sprout, this can create an awesome natural look since the plant grows in place from the beginning so you often get insane root growth.

You're pretty lucky! I'd love to find quality A. scandens seed here!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Oh yeah, they're ripe once they get nice and big and easily fall off in your hand. A. scandens is normally bright white or cream colored. In all honesty I've pulled berries of all sizes and levels of ripeness and still got tons of seedlings...

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if this is A. scandens or A. trinerve, but I am leaning toward the latter.
Anyway, both are closely related, so your seed (berries) should look similar to this when they are ready. Actually, you can see that some of the berries have fallen already. So if you want every last seed, you should follow the advice already given and try to see if the berries will come off easily.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The "berries" on mine look a bit different to yours so i'll post up pics shortly just to confirm mine is fruiting.

How many seeds per fruit?

I've never seen this species offered for sale or even grown here in aus before untill i found a large plant growing at the local botanic gardens so i took a small piece (naughty naughty). It was just finishing flowering when i got it and since then the spathe has been swelling. One or 2 are starting to turn white, shouldnt be much longer then.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol nah its only 5inch with another inch or so of stem under ground. So to confirm, those are fruits?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yep it's fruiting....A. scandens also can reportedly self-pollinate, so they are probably viable

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
A. gracilis self pollinates and when it's growing well produces lots of inflorescence + fruit and the seeds sprout readily too.

Gosh I like the look of that A. scandens does anybody know about availability for that one?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ho many seed per fruit? If i get enough seen and as long as they would still be viable at the end of the trip i'm be happy to help you guys out with some seed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didnt take long to ripen, all the fruids on that spathe have turned white and are easily removed, will get sowing today :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts